New calf!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by vtfarma, May 5, 2005.

1. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Okay so with our luck this year we will be holding our breath for the next few days. One of our heifers had a bull calf this afternoon. :) Beautiful, healthy and of course the sweetest little thing ... oops thats the mother in me!

We are just hoping all is well this time.

Laurie

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Hopefully this one has good luck with it, everything goes well hopefully you shook that bad spell :)..

Jeff

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Good luck with the calf.

4. vtfarma

Happy to report the little guy is doing well. Snoozing in the green grass in the sun. We have our littlest heifer (1st timer) getting ready to go. She was the one I was nervous about.

Looks like the calf is going to be fine.

Laurie

5. vtfarma

We just taped him - 90 lbs. Momma is still up there at 1347.

6. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Of the three bull calves born this year here at Wolf Cairn Moor, the two latest are still kicking. The Jersey/Milking Devon cross has gained about 10 pounds from a birth weight of around 65 pounds. The premature full blood Milking Devon born to a first calf heifer, is now at 35 pounds from a starting weight of 32 pounds.

The Jersey/Milking Devon is 3 weeks old today, and the Milking Devon will be 3 weeks old on Sunday.

We still have our fingers crossed for both of them, but especially for the little guy. We feed the smaller calf with a goat nipple on a pop bottle; 2 pints per feeding. The larger calf is getting 1/2 gallon a day in two feedings. Both are eating plenty of hay and a bit of 16% calf starter.

7. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

One of our new beef heifers freshened last week. She is a black baldy and had a solid black heifer. So, now "my" herd is up to seven beef females. We figure we will have room here at the house for seven to 10 beef cows.

Button, the dam, is the first heifer to freshen here in two years since we sold the milk cows. It's good to see a little one again. The best part is their pasture is between our house and the home place so the kids get to see everything.

Ann

8. vtfarma

It is wonderful to see the calf running around being a calf. After 2 that died we were ducking. This one is healthy and independent minded so it should be fine. We have 13 presently. We only overwinter 12. We will be butchering only 2 this year and have 2 more heifers due this month... now! Congrats on your "baby" Ann

Laurie

9. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Good to hear everything is going well, always good when animals live and don't give you any hastle. Because what happens, you start doubting yourself, start wonderng "was it something I did?". But when things start going well, its a good feeling.

We have had 8 out of 12 calf so far, so 4 left. When they are all done, we will have 50 animals here on the farm, 20 dairy, the rest beef. Donkey I think makes 51, but baaa its only a grits.. That number will drop after this fall, selling all the calves, etc. Beef cows will stay, and pending if I decide to cull some beefers to thin out the ones that don't throw big calves. Either way, 8 out of 12 healthy calves is a great feeling, one came backwards, but she is doing well, month old I beleive.

Jeff

10. vtfarma

JeffNy,

I grew up in NY - where is your farm?

We are small by all standards. If we could afford to buy a big farm we would jump at it. We are raising pigs -1 breeding pair, 200 chickens for meat and 50 for eggs, plus we do turkeys. All on only 10 acres plus some neighbors pastures that they wanted used so it didn't grow up. We would love to do this for a living only but not yet.

Glad you have had good luck. It does make you doubt yourself.

Laurie