New Calf!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by MullersLaneFarm, Sep 13, 2004.

1. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Dolly (Jersey cow) gave birth to a bouncing bull calf Friday afternoon. He is a Jersey x Dexter. The bull was dun in color and Dolly is a typical fawn Jersey - the bull calf is a dark brown.

Both momma and calf are doing fine!

2. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

3. MullersLaneFarm

Thank you Willow_girl!

He is now in the 'bouncing' stage! Sniff at something new and SPROING!!! :haha:

Pictures

Dam is unregistered Jersey of Mennonite stock.

Sire is registered Dun Dexter (ADCA# 11820)

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Calf and momma are looking good. :)
    I see the little guy has an appetite.

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Your cow could be my cow's twin except for the horns. How do you stay out of range of them? My cow likes to get up close to me & put her head against my hip & gently push. I"ll push back & we stand there propped against each other. I'd have been stuck long ago if she had horns (although it hurt me as bad as it did her when she was dehorned).

6. MullersLaneFarm

I don't.

Dolly is a bonafide love junkie!! She likes to put her head, ever so gently, on your waist so you can scratch both sides of her neck at the same time. She never pushes though. Her head just drops lower and lower and lower as she enjoys the scratchings.

She knows exactly where the tips of her horns are and has never been threatening with them. Once, she did knock me when swiping at her back for biting flies. She started gently licking me, almost as if to say she was sorry.

Our junior yearling Jersey had been de-horned when we got her. I think she looks strange after seeing horns on Dolly all this time!!

7. MullersLaneFarm

Thanks Haggis!

Yup, quite the appetite! Had to get some pix of him eating so Paul would quit fussing and worrying. Told Paul the little one had found the spigot but he had to see for himself!