new calf has blood in poop

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Stephanie SE IA, May 18, 2005.

1. Stephanie SE IA

Stephanie SE IA Member

OK, I wrote a few days ago on suggestions on how to get a calf that was eating off momma to eat from a bottle now.
    Monday night I finally got 1/2 pint of milk down her. This morning at 7 she finally took 1 pint and I just gave her another 1/2 pint 10am. HOWEVER, I noticed that now she has blood in her poop. Do I just keep feeding her milk, or do I go to electrolytes instead?
    I'm just going to call the vet as I'm sure this is not good---but suggestions would be great for the next time this happens to save the cost of a vet.

2. Stephanie SE IA

Stephanie SE IA Member

I called the vet--of course he is out for most of the day. His assistant suggested the electrolyte pills so I can keep feeding her milk--of course at a cost of $1 a pill. Small cost to save this girl that could lead to a herd someday as far as I am concerned.
    Any help on this is appreciated!

3. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Keep on with the milk. How much blood?

4. Stephanie SE IA

Stephanie SE IA Member

Blood amount is about 1/4 to 1/2 of the poop--definetly noticable.

5. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

This could be cocidiossis. The blood tends to more brown and less bright than fresh. Fed a coccidiostat like corid in the milk. ALso offer a good calf starter. Generally I am not alarmed by blood in the stool but this sounds like a lot. Could also be the stress that she has gone through.

6. NRS Farm

NRS Farm Well-Known Member

This is a calf that you brought home Sat from the auction if I read the other thread correctly. You thought/think it is 2 weeks old correct? You did not get it to eat or drink until Monday correct? Did it have bowel movements before today? I'm wondering how dehydrated it might have gotten as well. From what I understand it might not have had much if anything to eat between Sat and Mon night.

I guess I kinda think this is a dehydration with electrolytes problem rather than coccidiosis. I'd probably continue with the milk since it is apparently drinking now. I'm assuming there is not diarrehea but probably firm stools with blood in them at this time.

7. Stephanie SE IA

Stephanie SE IA Member

I bought this calf Sat and she did not eat until Monday night and then only 1/2 pint. She did have calf feed and water though and was doing find--excrete wise--poop ok and sort-of firm and peeing.
    Someone suggested taking the water away and I did--now I wish I hadn't--it did get her to start taking the bottle but I'm still more or less force feeding her. I spoke with the vet, have gotten scours pills and she has had one in her system for 4 hours now.
    The vet said since her unbilical cord was healed when we got her that this is the way to go. Another person that has cattle said give the water back right away--she might be older than we expect and knows how to take care of herself and might not need the bottle.
    The calf has free access to water, feed and hay again.
    I just went out and checked her--the poop is back to normal color, still runny but only a spot of blood. I'll keep trying the milk but maybe she is too old for it--I'm not going to force anymore since you can wean a calf at 4 weeks and she might just be that.
    Thanks everyone for your help!