Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Bear in mind you are making a drastic switch from mom to milk replacer. Totally different taste. Some calves take to it right away, others don't. If they don't you may have to use your legs as stantions. Stand the calf up and straddle it. Then you have the head at your crotch. Try sticking a couple of fingers in its mouth first to see if you can get a suck action going. If so, quickly replace the fingers with the nipple. If the calf refuses the milk replacer, wait a couple of hours and try again. Hunger can work wonders.

I had my calf taking the bottle readily so put him back with mom today. This evening he refused to take the bottle so I had to tube feed him. I hope he will take the bottle again in the morning. No more mom for quite a while. She appears to give just enough milk to take the edge off his hunger to where he doesn't want to tank up from the bottle.

Ken S. in WC TN

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Locally calf starter and calf grower aren't the same thing so be careful what they give you. Calf starter has a high molasses content to where it will tend to stick together a bit coming out of the bag. Includes chopped up corn kernels and oats among other things fairly easily digested by calves. Calf grower doesn't have a much molasses in it as an enticement.

Usually calves don't start getting an interested in hay, water and calf starter until they are 3-4 weeks old. Some earlier, some later. Just make good hay, clean, fresh water and calf starter available for it to find.

When you go out to feed the calf don't just walk up and plug in the bottle. Play with it first to where it is dancing around and rubbing on you. It is said this helps stimulate their appetite and flow of saliva. It is a bit odd to see cattle licking their lips as they head to the feed trough.

Ken S. in WC TN

1 - 2 of 2 Posts