New Calf! and some pics

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Mar 8, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well recently the first hereford calved, about 11 more to go. Actually these guys aren't pure bred herefords, they have some Jersey in their genetics. Anyways, a couple pictures of the holsteins, hereford and the jerseys.

Holsteins loving the sun
    [​IMG]
    Later on
    [​IMG]
    Jerseys, Echo looking over Opal, and if she looks like a terror, then yes, your right.
    [​IMG]
    The mother licking the calf.
    [​IMG]
    The mother looking back towards her calf.
    [​IMG]

Calf was born March 1st, and the mother is 4 years old, she had a difficult birth the first time, calf didn't make it. But she had no problems with this one, she ate the placenta, and doesn't flinch a bit at the calf. Some of ours will flinch, but she is very very calm, almost tooo calm. She does not moo, its more of a moan, very relaxed, and lifts her leg if you massage her udder.

Jeff

2. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Congrats !!
    Really nice Jeff, cute calf.
    Thats a pretty nice looking farm you have there, 'cept for all that white stuff !!
    I'll trade you for mud !!!
    :)

3. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Nice cows!! Love the red barn back there. Pretty pretty place!

4. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

They're Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing!

5. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I really have enjoyed following along with your whole venture. Your new baby looks as sweet as her mom!

6. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Yeah and more white stuff came on Tuesday herefordman, and let me tell ya. I am getting tired of it, it is march and I do live where it snows, but my 2 wheel drive wheeler almost didn't make it back from where I feed the herefords. I need a tracked wheeler bad, but spring will come, and then it will be mud season. But atleast the snow keeps them clean, well maybe not the barn because the holsteins were crowding that today, tons of room, but they love to all try to fit in one pen.

But thanks for the compliments, ill have more pictures of some youngens by late March or April, 11 more to go!

The farm looks good, because of my mother, she cleaned the place up a lot. Also, the barn was newly painted last summer, the painter does one heck of a job.

Jeff