New Bunny won't eat

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Caelma, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I think I've been real lucky till now, no ill bunnies, no bunnies having adjustment problems.

I got a new bunny who is bred and past the half way mark to having them.
    She will not eat her food. She will eat a piece of a carrot and a piece of bread (breeder suggested) Gonna give her some hay today and she has her prior owners food in front of her.
    I'm getting worried as she is due within a week to kindle.
    She is drinking.
    Any suggestions?

2. meggie

meggie Well-Known Member

I always worry with a preggers doe if she won't eat I add a little mollasses or corn syrup to the water to boost the blood sugar and bring back the want to eat again. I always worry about ketosis. Hope this helps a little anyway.

meggie

3. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Meggie whats ketosis?

4. meggie

meggie Well-Known Member

I quote the merck vet. manual. " Ketosis ,pregnancy toxemia , A rare disorder that may result in death of the doe at or 1-2 days before kindling. Predisposing factors include obesity and lack of exercise.The disease is more common in first litter does. The signs are dullness of eyes,sluggishness , ANOREXIA, respitory distress, prostration and death. The most significant lesions are fatty liver and kidneys. The probable cause is starvation. For some reason,not well understood there is anorexia.The body mobilizes fat and transports it to the liver to be broken down for energy ,thus the fatty liver. Diagnosis depends on clinical signd and necropsy lesions. Injections of fluids containing glucose may be helpful in correcting the disease.Breeding junior does early before they become too fat ,is also helpful ."
    Ok now it may seem silly ,but if I have a pregnant doe that will not eat for one day I spike the water with the syrup and also try succulents like carrots and sweet potatoes. Just to keep the body from freeing the fat into the bloodstream.
    meggie