new born piglets

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Rob30, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a few questions.
    First has anyone out there had there sow drop imature dead piglets? My sow farrowed today. 3 healthy piglets and 6 still born. 5 of them were only 3-4 inches long the other about 6 inches long. They seemed almost rotten.
    Second one of the piglats were stepped on. She has a nasty cut, pretty deep. She is still walking and eating but bleeding lots. Any ideas? I disinfected the cut and put some corn starch on it, bleeding slowed but not stopped.
    Third I need a recipe for an organic creep feed.

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Rob,
    Your piglets were "mummified" and the most common cause of this is Parvovirus.
    If this is the case, now that she has been infected she will have an immunity and future litters should be trouble free.

I had a Parvovirus free herd and allowed somebody to bring their sow to run with my boar. In the following year every one of my 7 sows farrowed mummified piglets. After the second sow farrowing like that I called the vet in and he diagnosed Parvo. From now on, any new sow I obtain will have to run with the older sows between 16 weeks of age and her first mating to ensure that she too gains immunity BEFORE getting into pig.

Where abouts on the body has your little pig been cut? I have this happen on occasion and do much the same as what you have done as well as give them 0.5mg Pen. as piglets have little resources to fall back on should it become infected. On one I did use a banage strip to pull the edges of the wound together which helped stop it bleeding and he survived.

Can't help with the organic feed I'm sorry but if you organically farm perhaps you can make up your own. If you milk goats or cows give them watered milk and obtain flaked maize and barley from your organic outlet and mix it all into a mash for them. They love it and do well on it. As they get older add cooked vegetables (plus the water).

Good luck with your remaining piglets and I hope the little one survives. They can be quite robust little creatures.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

I have to agree, sounds like parvo to me also. :no:

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

On the injured pig, get a tube of super glue and glue the pig back together. No Joke, it will work.

5. Rob30

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunatly our sow layed on the injured piglet yesterday. I am not sure why, she seemes to be so careful when moving and laying down. I am not sure if her pen is to small. I moved the heat lamp away so that the piglets lay in a small crate when not eating. It has been very disapointing so far. But the two remaining piglets are very healthy looking. Hopefully our second sow goes better. She came from a pasture farm, and is more experienced.
    How long do I have to wait before I can start letting my sow out again?

6. mink

mink Well-Known Member

hey agman , i had a back operation ...cut open about 4 inches and they ''super glued ''me back ....no stitches....and it healed fine

7. Rob30

Well I came home today and found my other sow with 3 little piggies running around. She continued to have 9 more. All healthy strong little guys. 5 black, 4 pink and 3 patches. Very cute. Any suggestions on how much I should be feeding the sow? My first sow doesn't need to produce much milk, but this girl needs to produce lots. Any suggestions would be great. Also, how long until I can send her out side for a while? I usually send the sows out at different times each day. After the pigs are wiened I will be introducing the sows.

8. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Rob,
    You can give her about 5 or 6 lbs a day to start out & increase it every day & then let her have full feed as much as she can eat while she is nursing. also all the water she can drink clean every day.
    you may want to consider pulling 3 or 4 of the new litter off her & putting them in with the 1st sow a she only has acouple to tend too. it will make it easier on both sows,
    you should give your girls access to the outdoors within 72 hrs & then the piglets after 10 days should also be able to go outside as well.
    by the time they are all at least 10 days old you can run the entire litter together with both sows & they will communilly raise the piglets
    Good Luck with them
    Rick

9. Rob30

I have never let these pigs socialize. I bought them both pregnant from different breeders. I think I will wait until these piglets are weaned before introducing them. Don't know if they would accept the others piglets since they dn't know each other.
    Dos anyone have any good web pages on pigs. I have goats to and there seems to be lots of stuff for goats, but I can't find much for pigs.

10. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

When you do introduce the two sows together there will be a fight guaranteed, until dominance is weeded out between the two. Not a big deal but just so you won't be surprised.

11. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi again Rob,
    I would be a bit chary about mixing these two sows while they have young. Leave it until they are weaned and as Snakeoil says, be prepared for a bit of fighting from them for a couple of days.

Although I've found quite a lot on the web regarding breeds of pigs and some stuff pertaining to large scale piggeries, there is very little to help the smaller pig breeder. Perhaps it's there and I just havn't found it ;) I did manage to buy a good book printed in the States that may help you. "Raising Pigs Successfully" by Kathy and Bob Kellog. The ISBN is 0-913589-15-2. and I think you will find it helpful. Failing that, forums such as this are as good a place as any to glean information and the benefit of personal experience.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

12. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Rob,
    Sorry i wasn't aware the sowa were not already friends or i would not have suggested that you run them together , the other advise about waiting until after weaning is right on the money for that.
    as far as mixing the litters together that can still be done without issue. & to put it simply pigs cannot count & will usually accept other young at this early stage without any trouble. since they are so close in age the transfer can be done well.
    good luck with what ever you decide though.

Rick

13. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A good guide to the amount of feed to provide is 5 to 6 lbs. for the sow and add an additional pound per pig that the sow is nursing. This needs to be around 14 % protein feed. Plenty of good water is needed also.