Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my bees all vanished, I had given up hope of having a hive. In the past few days I've started seeing honey bees in the area. I even found one crawling on the lamp setting on my nightstand!

I cleaned out my hive and have it setting in the perfect spot in hopes that some bees will move into it.

What should I do to try to make the hive more attractive to them? I fed sugar water to the last bees and they left so I'm not going to try that again. Should I put out some honey for them?

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
Just hang tight until spring and re-bait to try to attract a spring swarm. If the wax moths haven't destroyed your comb, freeze the frames for a couple of days and store them in plastic trash bags. Bait in the spring with a cotton ball with 10-12 drops of lemon grass oil (holler at me in the spring if you can't locate any and I'll give you some of mine). In a pinch I've even used lemon pledge. Best and most productive hive I have came from a feral swarm just North of Hochatown this last spring so the ferals seem to be doing ok up your way.

David

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks David. The frames are still like new, just a tiny patch where the original bees started working before they vanished. I'll put them in the freezer for a couple of days, then store them for the winter. How early next spring should I set up the hive?

Where do you get the lemon grass oil? Is that something I should keep on hand?

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
I will have my swarm traps set up by the middle of March. Lemon grass oil mimics the "come here" scent. Usefull for attracting scouts who are out looking for a place for the new hive. Once they get inside and see your digs, all those old rotten trees seem paltry in comparison LOL. It is available at health food stores that sell herbal/natural products (not many around here). Also available online at many sources, just shop carefully as you'll find prices can range from $7.00 for a drop to $7.00 for an ounce.....Only need a couple of drops on a cotton ball for an entire season/trap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts