New bee keeper

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Kygardengal, May 20, 2005.

1. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

Hello to all, Some one just gave me all their "bee stuff"...It was for their teenage son and he lost interest in it after a year. I have read that I should just burn the boxes because of disease. Is this so? I had thought that maybe I could just scrub it out really good. They gave me a few books. I know really nothing about bees. I guess I'll try to learn..There is a bee organization here and I thought I would try to get some help from them. I hear that they are real helpful...Anyway, I just wanted to say "Hey"...I appreciate any helpful information as this is all new to me....but it does sound very interesting...

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Most people, if they suspected that disease had been a problem, would scorch the boxes, and then paint them.

Some people will not use used boxes at all.

Personally, I just took mine and bought frames and used them. Ignorance is bliss, but I lucked out.

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

The only reason to destroy bee equipment is if there has been foulbrood. That's unlikely in your case.

Since it's probably too late to be considering starting a hive this year, DO join your neighborhood bee group. The information you'll learn there would take many years of personal experience to learn.

The connections and cooperative efforts available will be helpful to you in the future.