Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought Id share a photo of the last 2 days work

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Wow, love it! Can't wait to see if finished. I REALLY need a new barn. I am crossing my fingers the time and money will be available this winter in time for spring kidding.

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ty morningstar, Im excited :D its a small barn 30x30 but big enough for us at this time. We put positioned it so that if ever wanted to add more to it we would have the room. Its going to be bare bones for now, we will build 2 stalls for now and the feed room, the rest can wait till next summer. I would have loved an all wood barn but cost wise we are going to have to use tin.

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lacyj said:
Wow,it's beautiful, but doesn't look like alot of floor support for second floor. Is there more on the inside?
they run across the floor every 2 ft

·
Registered
698 Posts
My 2 cents as a carpenter....I would be concerned that the upstairs walls would push out because of the outward thrust of the rafters. Your ties at the top of the roof are not enough in my opinion to keep the walls from spreading. In the old days the wall studs would go all the way to the bottom floor, so the joists of the 2nd floor would keep them from spreading, but in your case you have a short 2nd story wall with the rafters attached on top of them. I would definitely add ceiling joists atleast halfway down the length of the rafters to keep the rafters from pushing too much.

I'd hate to see those walls pancake out after you remove the braces! Otherwise great looking barn!

·
Human Being!
670 Posts
dixiegal62 said:
ty morningstar, Im excited :D its a small barn 30x30 but big enough for us at this time. We put positioned it so that if ever wanted to add more to it we would have the room. Its going to be bare bones for now, we will build 2 stalls for now and the feed room, the rest can wait till next summer. I would have loved an all wood barn but cost wise we are going to have to use tin.

Dixiegal62 you are blessed with a beautiful place. Accidentally clicked on the picture and it took me to your photo album. I think it is awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AJ Williams said:
Dixiegal62 you are blessed with a beautiful place. Accidentally clicked on the picture and it took me to your photo album. I think it is awesome.
I didnt know it would do that :D, ty we love it here

·
Human Being!
670 Posts
DW and I are planning on moving across Georgia border to Alabama. We will be in Russell County when we make the move. Your Barn pictures are giving me ideas.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

As RosewoodFarmVA said, your rafters aren't properly supported. The way they are now, your rafters wouldn't safely support a plywood shingled roof. Even if the rafters didn't snap or kick out, they would sag over time. The rafters need to be trussed...I recommend a W truss.

Are you siding with metal panels?

RF

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
PS: There should be more bracing between the rafters to prevent twisting.

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ty for the advice, the barns not done yet, I just took a photo of what was done in 2 days. Ill tell hubby what y'all mentioned.
As for living in Alabama we love it! Hubby was born here so this is always been his home. I moved here after we married and wouldnt want to live anywhere else

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Looks pretty good so far. Keep us updated. I am also in the pocess of building a barn. Mine is 40x60. I'm using 95% salvaged material (TOTAL cost is less than $1500 - most of that being nails scres and 2x4 nailers), so she ain't pretty, but she will do the job.

·
Haney Family Sawmill
1,224 Posts
Don't worry about the rafters when you add the pearling for the roof it will tie the rafters together. The Rafters are alittle light but not out of line.
What are you going to use the upper floor for?
Why did you not use sawmill lumber? I own a Mill and that would have saved about 40%.
I really appreciate your photos though. Customers always want to see other people photo's and I will recomend they follow your example for this type of construction.

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I talked to hubby and he said the rafters would be tied together before the metal roof is added on. He says the barn will be very sound and since he and his 6 brothers have built quite a few barns I'm trusting his judgement on this :)
justsawing I have no idea why he didn't use saw mill lumber. We use mostly round bales so the top will hold a bit of square ones if the need arises. We had a few words about the loft, I wanted it open in the middle and he wanted it closed with openings over the stalls to throw down hay. We did it his way I'm still not 100% OK with it, but am thankful for the barn. Since its very seldom hubby doesn't let me have my way I'm willing to drop this one :D

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
dixiegal the openings over the stalls are very convient. The barn my mare was boarded at had it that way, and it was far so easier to pass out hay to each horse that way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.