New Baby

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mamasaanan, Dec 12, 2005.

1. mamasaanan

mamasaanan Well-Known Member

Went out to feed my goat girls this morning and got a big suprise. There was a new baby out in the pen. One of my silly goat girls had pulled a fast one. I didn't even realize she was pregnant. Now for the other half of the suprise. The baby is solid black. Ok, I've got Saanans. White Saanan's. Both my big bucks are solid white and are "suppose" to come from very good bloodlines. So why is there a soldid black baby buck romping in my pasture? Does this happen very often. I paid major bucks for the the mamas and the daddies and now I've got a rather odd looking little critter to show for it. And what's worse, I don't know which buck did the deed. I'm still in shock. Oh, well, a new babies a pretty nice aniversery present.
    :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

2. TamInAz

TamInAz Well-Known Member

LOL..."black sheep" of the family. Any close by neighbors w/black bucks that might have come courting?

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Sounds really interesting. Maybe you should take it to Maury? I would have to say though that it is more than likley not from one of your bucks. So, what sex is it? Good luck with your new mystery, bye.

4. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Black is recessive. Two black goats can never give you a white baby, but two white goats can and do, as you have seen!

Your black buck is what is known as a Sable Saanen. He is all Saanen, but Saanens often carry color genes. Sables are becoming popular and (I've been out of the ADGA loop for a while) were well on their way towards becoming a sanctioned ADGA breed in their own right the last I heard. They are popular and in demand in some circles, and for good reason: Sables have all the same productivity of their breed without the skin cancer risk (besides, they're pretty!). Something else- Sables can come in just about any color, not just black.

http://www.sabledairygoats.com/

http://nationalsaanenbreeders.com/00klisse.html

Klisse Foster raises both types of Saanens, above you can see her National show winning Saanens and Sables! She is one of the top Sable breeders.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Let's say that a black buck (and black bucks aren't very common) was running loose somewhere, jumped the fence, and bred your doe while you slept unawares....your doe would have had a pure white kid unless she was carrying the gene for color. Black is like that- it has to come from both sides or you just cannot get it at all. I know this because I have black goats and breed for solid black- it wasn't easy to get....I had to do quite a bit of linebreeding in order to get it from my (already colored) Alpines.

5. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

That explains my Saanen doe/bred too Boer-having twins-one being a nearly solid black buck! :D

6. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Sables are now recognized as a breed by ADGA. I had a Sable buckling born to a Saanen doe before they were sanctioned, and unfortunately, wethered him. I wish I had kept him as a buck. My friend has a beautiful Sable doe out of the same buck as the kid I had. You can DNA test your goats to find out who the sire is. This cross is worth repeating.