New baby pygmy goat...?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kstornado11, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Kstornado11

Kstornado11 Well-Known Member Supporter

We got our first new pygmy goat yesterday, Sally Malone, and she's VERY shy. What can we do to help her adjust to her new surroundings, and to come out of her house?

2. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Congrats on the Pygmy goat (my favorite breed lol) How old? Was she used to people at the place where she came from? She is probably stressed from the trip and being seperated from familiar herdmates. Is she your only goat? if so....get her a goat pal so she doesn't get lonely and so she has a buddy to play with, keep her company, snuggle and sleep with. And you will enjoy them all the more (you know the saying, 'double the fun' LOL)

It will take time for her to adjust to new surroundings. Don't push it, just give her time, it can take days, weeks, even months in some cases. It all depends on the goat and if they have had any (and how much) prior exposure to humans. Get near her, softly and quietly talk to her, offer her treats. (they love soda crackers) Just sit calmly by her so she knows you aren't going to hurt her.

Did i mention get her a pal?? LOL She 'may' be less timid with a friend, particularly if you get one who is already accustomed to people.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

i personally would wait awhile before getting her a friend, because then she HAS to bond to you. When you're feeding her just pet her all over and make her come to you when you have her food. If she doesn't come, either keep trying or don't feed her. when they are little like that I try to NOT skip a feeding and I will try to keep encouraging her to come. Just sit quietly in her pasture with raisins, small peices of bread or the soda crackers. feed her a treat every time she comes.

4. witchysharon

personally would wait awhile before getting her a friend, because then she HAS to bond to you

Hmmmm....I have never had a problem getting a goat to bond with me, whether or not they were a lone goat or had several pals. Your new baby, and any friend you get her, will bond with you. Goats are very social animals, and if treated with kindness and love from the onset they readily bond with their humans. My whole herd is bonded to me and are as friendly, affectionate and approachable as a pet dog.

I wouldn't recommend 'not feeding' her if she does not come to you when you offer treats. When you put her daily ration in her feeder, she sees you doing it and 'knows' the food comes from you. This in itself is often enough for her to warm up to you. Treats however will be a special occasion for her, and they do often help 'tame' even the most timid goat.

When she does start to take treats from your hand, don't make any attempt to 'pet' her the first few times. She needs to learn to trust you. Goats have a sort of 'personal' space they feel comfortable in, and when someone unfamiliar to them tries to encroach on it (as in sticking out your hand to pet her, or coming too close into her comfort zone) may frighten her or make her panic and reluctant to let you get close the next time. Let her come to you on her terms, your patience will be rewarded. JMO....as this has always worked for me.

5. Kstornado11

Kstornado11 Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, little Sally Malone sure has come out of her shell! She's doing great now, bonding fine w/ everyone,especilly the 2 dogs!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. witchysharon

Awwww....she's precious. She has the same coloring/markings as two of my pygmy wethers. It seems she has made herself comfortable in her surroundings. It didn't take her long LOL. How are the treats working? If she has overcome her shyness towards you and allows you to pet her, use a brush (they seem to prefer a wire brush) and give her a good brushing. Goats LOVE to be brushed and they also love being scratched on their chest, behind their elbows, between their ears, under their chin and along the rump. Well, actually almost anywhere. :) My goats come running and stand in line when they see me with the brush in hand!!

Just a word of caution though....no matter how she and your dogs seem to get along, never leave her alone with a dog unsupervised. Unless you have a trained livestock guardian dog who has been bred for the purpose of protecting livestock.

I've heard too many stories about someones dog injuring/killing their goats. What even may start out as play, can turn rough since dogs play differently then goats and nipping and biting are normal dog play behavior.

I personally had an incident with one of my dogs. He was raised from puppyhood with the goats so I would have never dreamed he'd harm one of the goats. Well, the unthinkable happened, fortunately I was home to intervene, otherwise i would have had a dead goat. That dog wears a muzzle now whenever he is out near the animals. It would be wise to keep her in her fenced area (with a goatie friend if possible :) ) and only allow the goat and dogs together when you are there.

7. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

I would still suggest another baby goat. I got tewo babies last year at the same time. They bonded with us well. They love playing "goat games" together and even let the potbelly pig in on the fun. The goats stay together all the time even during barn time. And the pig is with them outside all the time but has his own feeding and sleeping space in the barn. They all 3 come running for attention the minute I get near them.

It just takes a little time for them to get used to things. New feed, new place and new friends!

Good luck with her. She is adorable.