Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It got down to at least -17 last night. Went out this morning to find 2 year old Sable doe Raindance pushing. In the worst corner of the barn. Moved her to the old hay stall and went in to see where we were. She would push and nothing would happen. I would go in, she would walk away. Her buddy Opie would not leave her side.

Called mom and she came down to hold her while I pulled. Everytime I asked the girls if my midwife (Mom) was there yet, the cow Pearl came over and stood by the gate. She knew something was not right. She had the cutest single doeling. Dad is a Lamancha. At least she didn't go last night. I have named her Koyuk (aka Koy). We are doing an Alaska theme this year and Koyuk is one of the towns along the Iditarod Trail.

I did not think she was due this time. She had very little udder and was not acting like she was ready. Of course, she is the first one to kid and we have no milk yet. Come on Gilligan, have your babies next. I know she will be able to feed her litter and then some. Gilligan is huge (at least trips). Will post pics when I bring my camera home. Hopefully tomorrow.

Carisa

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I love to read stories like this. "Ho hum, nothing was happening, I had to go in and pull...doop dee doo" like pulling kids is just no big deal. Which it probably isn't for someone who's done it a lot, but I would have been (will be) FREAKING OUT!

I'm so scared!

Oh, and congrats! Can't wait to see pics!!!

·
mostly LaManchas
1,004 Posts
Congrats on your new baby! So glad you found her and were able to help since looks like she needed it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Raindance is doing fine now. Gave her several things (including molasses water) and she is outside eating hay with the others. They have hay in the barn and outside and they want to be out. It is up to 6 and sunny.

Not long after the first one, Emma decided it was her turn. Twin bucks. Clifford and Herbie Hancock (Brother gets to name the boys).

And now, a 3rd is working on it. LOL It is this stupid cold that has triggered them. Only 1 more to go after that this round, we think.

We were on our way out the door when we called my brother to see if anyone was ready to kid around 11 this morning, and that was when Emma was pushing. So much for opening our sports card shop today. Hope there were not too many people by today. I will post pics as soon as I get the camera back from our shop.

Carisa

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Woo hoo! Good news...congratulations :) can't wait to see ALL the pictures

1 - 7 of 7 Posts