New Baby on the Farm!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mygrayfarm, Oct 23, 2004.

1. mygrayfarm

mygrayfarm Well-Known Member

Hi, folks, I just had to tell this!

We went down to the barn this morning for the AM chores and there he was - a brand new baby alpaca! He was just brand new, still wet and trying to stand. I called a friend who's had a lot of births on her farm and she came over and calmed me down and helped me get him up and dry. He's running around the pasture with Mom right now.

I had been studying the field manuals, and I had pretty well memorized the drill (dip the cord, etc.) but of course it all flew out of my head. The thing I was most worried about was a having to deal with a difficult delivery but, oh well, looks like everything went along just fiine without my help.

I suppose after a few more births I'll get to be pretty cavalier about it, but this was really something.

At least Mom waited until the rain stopped to bring the baby!

2. kjerckie

kjerckie Well-Known Member

Congradulations on the baby. It's always a bonus when there wasn't a problem.
    And never become cavalier about it, the last one should always be as exciting as the first one. Otherwise, what's the point?

3. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

So! Does he look like Mom or Dad? Neither? A little of both? How tall is he? Still doing well? Come on! Tell!

TXlightningbug :yeeha:

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Wow bet that baby is cute! What ever do you do with alpacas besides breed to show and sell. I am told there is no market for the wool here in the states and no place to sell the stuff if you could find someone to shear the animals?

5. mygrayfarm

He's kind of a mix of fawn and gray. We own both sire and dam so it's pretty cool to see this unusual coloring. He's out there right now bucketing around the pasture - he's very active and curious. i'll try to get my husband to show mw how to post a picture!

We've never had a problem selling our alpaca fiber - maybe there are more handspinners in the Baltimore/Washington corridor than elsewhere? We also have no problems with getting a shearer. Some small farms band together to hire one for the day, or some big farms let you take your animals there on shearing day, or you can get them shorn after some of the bigger shows.

We have another girl due in a couple weeks, so we'll have two little ones chasing around. This little boy's registered name is "Rudy Can't Fail". We're naming them after song titles/lyrics. Our last birth here was on the morning of Hurricane Isabel (ARRRGGGHH!) and we named that girl "Wings of the Storm" (Stormy for short).

6. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Congrats on the new baby! LOL I must say that I went to a fair this weekend(for the ducks... :p ) and wandered over to the Alpaca/Llama barn and boy was I impressed! I loved watching the obstacle course and the way they handled the little jumps, bridges, carrying the packs, and going in and out of the van..that was pretty neat.

I was also pleased by how calm,pretty, alert, and intelligent they looked. Every single one of them looked me over very carefully as I passed them. Interesting and beautiful too!

I know you are going to have a great time with them!

LQ

7. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

How many do you have. I have only one now. I lost the other one to the dreaded meningial or whatever :rolleyes: worm. We thought we were worming correctly according to the vet but it wasn't enough. If you ever watch one die that way you will worm the heck out of the others. :(
    I have no market around here for the fiber. It costs way too much to get them sheared and but you have no choice. The clippers to do it your self costs a fortune! I spin but I am getting burried in fiber!

8. mygrayfarm

We had some cases of meningeal worm around here (Maryland) and they scared me! We alternate between Dectomax and Safeguard every 30 days and so far, our animals have been safe. We have 11 now - 5 girls and 6 boys (2 geldings). I'm counting the baby in with the 6 boys.

I want to learn how to hand shear, but for now I'll leave it to the experts.

I spent some exztra time down in the barn tonight - they wer all so calm and peaceful - it was one of those good nights on the farm. At least, it got good after I was done removing the pellets!

9. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

He's sounds beautiful! I look forward to hearing about the girl when she comes too. I've been considering having a couple of llamas to guard a small herd of alpacas on my farm when I land there. I know that there are some spinners in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, but have no idea how to let them know about the availability of the wool. How do you go about finding someone who knows how to shear them too? I want to learn how so I can do it myself. Do they have a school for that sort of thing?

TXlightningbug :yeeha:

10. mygrayfarm

I don't know if there is a school - we just use the guys that come around this area every year - I think they are from New Zealand. If you have Marty McGee Bennet's book. "The Camelid Companion," it has a section on shearing. We've gone to her workshops so I'm going to try this on one of my older girls who is no longer showing.

The best advice I gan give you about selling the fiber is to join a spinning guild. It's a great network - people really seem to like working with the alpaca - I know I do, but I'm biased.