New Baby Born Dead

Discussion in 'Goats' started by stormygoat, Apr 7, 2005.

1. stormygoat

stormygoat New Member

Hi I Live In Oklahoma And Ihave Just Gotten Some Boer Goats And Percetages. I Love These Gentle Animals But I Would Like To Be Able To Raise Them But I Don't Know Much About Them. I Had A Boer Cross Nanny 6 Days Ago That Kidded And I Did Not Know How To Tell When She Would Kid So I Was Not With Her When She Kidded. On Baby A Healthy Looking Billy Died. And The Other Lived Although We Had To Hold The Nanny To Let Her Eat. I Am Worried Since I Don't Know Much About Babies What To Watch For In This Baby And What If Any Vaccinations I Need To Give Her. I Also Wonder Why The Baby Died. Any Thoughts Thanks

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

Dead babies or dying ones are so disturbing. I think we tend to think we should of done this or that, but in reality, multiple reasons for this many times have nothing to do with us as their caregivers.

I had a doeling born first and we missed her by 5-10 mins. She died. Her sack was so thick that with a second baby arriving, the mother couldn't tend to it. When I got out to the barn, I saw a suffocated baby with the sack still intact. It took quite a pull to tear it apart. It was a nice large baby. I ripped the sack open anyway and cleared her mouth and swung her hoping to revive her. Nothing worked.

I've had mothers reject their young. Then I intervened and days later learned that they weren't thrifty and would always need more care than the average person could give.

Sometimes the baby die in utero.

There is so much to learn. With Boer/meat goats, I've found this book so helpful. It's a meat goat owners bible. "Raising Meat Goats for Profit" by Gail Bowman.

Also two others I keep by my side are: Goat Keepers 101 and one of the Storey Publishing series: Raising Dairy Goats.

Between the three of them and this board as well as a couple of others, I learn everything imaginable. The most excellent source is your own experience. The first two goats I've ever bought were the best to learn from. They were inexpensive learning tools and yet so very valuable. I still have them here on the farm and sadly enough, it's time to move on as far as those two girls are concerned.

Take it easy and let your does teach you. Watch and observe.

Those books mentioned above will cover information about everything you need to get started.
    :)

3. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

Hi, so sorry for your loss of the one baby! As was said there are many reasons for why.....sometimes you will know and other times the only way will be through an autopsy to know.

I also live in Oklahoma, central part close to Norman, and would be happy to share what info. I have been able to come across. By no means am I an expert, but I have a few goat friends and between us we could help get you going on the right track.

Do you have more that are going to kid? There are several sites that give info on how to tell when the event might be. Try http://fisacofarm.com/ this is one of my much visited sites around kidding time, and when I'm looking for health info.

Let me know if you'd like more, I'm happy to help out!

Jeannine

4. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Good advice above. Slight typo on the fiasco url. Should be:

http://www.fiascofarm.com/

That's my "go to" site for kidding and general raising info too. Care of bred does and post kidding care are covered pretty well there.