new babies, moms agression

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Kim Martin, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Kim Martin

Kim Martin Well-Known Member

Hi! I just had quick que. 1 mom had ram, & ewe lambs 7 days ago. I put her in a 8 * 8 bld. with one opening with panel piece over it. left 3 days, let out with others. No go! So, put other's out in the rest of paddock. Total paddock is 300 * 100. (Sectioned off 20 * 20 area feed lot kinda? with REAL secure fencing. bld. is in this area. Left mom & twins in this lot) Everything fine. Today, a dif. mom gave birth to 2 ewe lambs! So we carried them in to smaller paddock, put them in bld. checked everybody, fed her, made sure everyone nursed. Went to leave all alone to adjust and little boy wanted to go visit! (I had no idea he could squeeze thru panel opening! 2nd mom almost killed him, and 1 of her own before I could get everybody re-seperated!) Now she really is unsure of her black baby, (Thinking its him I guess!) and 1st mom want BACK IN the bld! I have rigged so much and she still tries to pull, untie, move, etc. (You name it!) everything away to get back in her shed! (She wasnt even using it anymore!) but if I put her and hers in big paddock, her and last mom will fight. (And I'm paranoid of fencing in the big area for the little ones) Will she finally settle down? Is there anything I'm not thinking of I should do? AAGGHH! Their turing my hair even grayer! (But the babies are so worth it!) :) 1 left to go! Any idea's and/or advice will be greatly appreciated! Wish me luck! Kim in OK

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

2nd mum is just being a little over protective, she should settle down in a day or so. A few keep pretty close tabs on their babes and push away others but not nearly so violently as you're seeing now.

3. Kim Martin

Kim Martin Well-Known Member

So this will settle down after she see's how it goes? Last years baby's were in a ffa show barn so everyone had their own run. Now, over here I planned on after time spent in the jug, everyone able to be together. The first mom is the leader of the flock, the 2nd one is the meekest. (Cross between hamp. & southdown) Both of the hamp's pick on her about everything! Food, resting spots,water...
    I'm hoping once babies are older, that they can all be together? (Praying & crossing fingers!) One person said "No way! Not till you wean them!"
    (I hope not!) I just want to do what is best for both babies and moms! (My DH says I'm overprotective and paranoid, but...what can I say!) still have 2 yearling ewes and 3 alpine milk goats to bring over and hope to have everyone here settled before I do! Thanks for your response, It helped ease my mind some! Kim in OK