New babies and mama has no milk

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jwcinpk, Mar 3, 2005.

1. jwcinpk

jwcinpk Well-Known Member

Looked out at the goat lot and low and behold if a young doe I had no idea was even pregnant had dropped two lil ones. Would have been a pleasant surprise if I hadn't found that mama has no milk. All we have on hand is cow colostrum powder so I mixed it up and gave them each 60cc right away. They are now seperated from mom and in the basement.
    How much of the powdered colostrum mix should they get a day and for how long?
    I'll check mom again tommorrow, but I'm doubting there will be any milk. Could it be her age? She is very young (13-14 months)
    To make matters worse she a 100% registered boer! Bred to a 100% registered boer!

2. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

That has happened to me too. For my kids, the first day I gave them colostrix mix several times a day, as much as I could coax them to drink. The second day I sometimes mix it in with milk replacer and give then as much as I can get them to take, hopefully at least 4 to 6 ounces 4 or 5 times that day. By the third day I'm giving them straight milk replacer, unless I'm worried that they really didn't get enough colostrum. If they get too much colostrum is can cause diarrhea. After that I give the babies 12 ounces of milk replacer 4 times a day for a couple of weeks. Then I increase the amount in the bottles by a few ounces and go down to 3 feedings a day after they are several weeks old. I've been having pretty good success so far doing it this way. I make sure they have access to some hay to nibble on. They get bacteria for their rumen that way and seem to enjoy it too.

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I would try to milk her anyway, twice a day. this will help her to make milk. I had one last year, that didn't let her milk down until 12 hours, later, she was a first freshner. so I would keep trying. and keep us posted. it won't be alot that you get, but even a half a cup, can mean a lot to new babies.

4. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Does she have any kin of milk sac?

We are using Oxytocin (2cc injection IM) within a few hours after birth to help ensure the expelling of the after birth. A side benefit is that it helps let down the milk. As Debitaber said, milking her will help also.

We also once rescued several sick and malnourished pregnant does that kidded before we could fully restore them to good health. Milk was also a problem at that point and our vet suggested 1cc of the Oxytocin morning and night for two to three days. After some supplemental bottles early on, the does were able to take over the nursing within a few days.

I would verify that the plugs were out (I have seen some tough ones) and that there wasn't some physical problem causing the no milk problem. We don't generally breed our goats until they are about a year old, but I have known of goats delivering as young as 11 months and do just fine.

Our first timers generally have trouble with a little insecurity as to what to do, but usually nothing else.

I hope this helps a little.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.