new and lots of questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by newfiemom, Apr 12, 2005.

1. newfiemom

newfiemom New Member

Hi everyone,
    My name is Jane - I'm new to the forum and I'm also new to country life. A year ago I sold my house outside of Boston ( a tenth of an acre without a single tree ) and moved to 6 beautiful acres ( 3 acres of woods ) in Middlesex, New York.
    I have 8 Newfoundland dogs, 2 baby goats and 6 chickens. I've lived all my life in cities. I guess my biggest question is how do I go about meeting folks?
    I'm single and nearly 60 - some days it's pretty scary.
    Anyway, I would love to hear from you people who have been through this.

Thanks,
    Jane

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Whoa! Get ridda some of those dogs for starters! :D

3. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

It is always fun to welcome new friends here! Congratulations on obtaining your dream. We're still working on ours, but some day... :)
    As far as meeting folks go, I recommend just being seen. If there are any kind of get-togethers, such as fairs, Sunday meetings, even the gatherings that seem to spontaneously happen at the feed store :haha: make yourself seen. When you are working in your yard and you happen to see somebody driving by, make sure you wave. If you're driving by a neighbor's and see them working in the yard, stop and introduce yourself. In my experience, folks love being asked about local things; history, what kind of plant is that, what's eating my ducks, etc. If you go to the store, talk to everybody.
    Can you tell that I love talking to folks? It has always worked for me. I've never had anybody be ugly, and I've met some really great people.
    And it is nice meeting you. Hope that you come back often and stay long.
    :D mamabear :D

4. newfiemom

newfiemom New Member

No way - they're my family - and they save on heating bills!!

5. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Welcome to insanity central! Some days I think I will go insane if one more person tells me I am INSANE for wanting to live this way! Do you breed the Newfoundland dogs? I know they are used for water rescue in some parts of the country. That would be one way to meet folks. I am in my 50's also (fortunately I have the worlds greatest spouse here with me building MY dream) but I still get lonely for other folks. My nearest neighbor is 7+ miles away toward town so I don't visit often. I do have a couple of gal friends I met at the farmers market that I keep in touch with a bit. But the biggest part of my social life these days (since winter travel is difficult) is right here on Homesteading Today! You could maybe join a church or some civic groups in the area to meet folks. It would also be a good idea to go to the local constablulary and introduce yourself and let them know you are alone out there. T hat way they won't just assume you are nuts when you call about hearing noises on the roof and it is just your neighbors cat! Glad you are joining us and i am sure you will meet folks when the time is right!

6. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

There is usually a cafe where the locals (older folks) drink coffee and chew the fat, try stopping in for a cuppa, and ask their advise about something. ie, Hi my name is ---- and I just moved here. What do you all use for fleas, my dogs seem to be picking them up everywhere. Getting them talking about dogs, livestock or crop prices and your in.

7. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Church is a good place to meet people. So are Farmer's Markets, spinning and weaving guilds (I used to know a lady who raised Newfies and she spun beautiful stuff out of their hair), and Grange meetings if you still have an active grange in your area.

Kathleen

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Welcome newfie! You've come to the right place for "Sage" advice and a little BS added to the "Mix" to enhance the flavor. Lots of smart and caring folks 'Round these parts so don't be afraid to ask anthing that comes to mind . With 8 dogs and others you're not going to have much time to do anything 'cept take care of all those "Fido's" . Come back often we will always try to help with whatever "Ails Ye" , ..fordy.. :)

9. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Welcome to our neighborhood!!! I love those dogs I want one!!

10. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

welcome! welcome! Just about everything I know about homesteading, food preserving, spinning, knitting, making goat milk soap,a nd about all my animals I either learned on this forum, the Backwoods Home forum, or COUNTRYSIDE or BACKWOODS HOME magazines!!!

I meet lots of nice folks when I am buying feed at the Farmer's Co-op here so that might be a nice place to smile a lot! Also are there organizations that you might belong to like goat associations and things like that??? best wishes!

11. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Nope got to get rid of some of those dogs -=- just drop em off in Tn, give me a call and I will point out the best place to get rid of them! LOL
    CAnt help with the question -- I like being alone! Good luck!

12. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Cruise the local Home Depot if it is male company you are seeking. Try the local hair salon if you need girl friends. Go to the clubs and events you are most interested in for friends that will have something in common with you (dog shows maybe?).

13. longearsfarm

longearsfarm Well-Known Member

As another "newfie mom" in the Boston area I had to chime in with a hello. I live in West Newbury (close to Newburyport, if you remember where that is) on 6 beautiful acres...we can't see our neighbors even, so I know what you mean about feeling isolated. We moved here four years ago from our postage-stamp sized lot and house in California, and we knew *no one*. It was very tough to start over.

(Oh, and btw, we have lots of animals, but so far only one Newfie, my big brown dopey but love of my life Seamus.)

In order to meet people I really, really had to push myself. Still kind of do. But I've made friends from meetings at the library, yarn store, feed store and even grocery store. I spent 20 years as a journalist, so I'm someone who asks a lot of questions. And I find that's worked well for me...people like to talk about their interests, and most are happy to network for you.

Do you work outside the home? If not, maybe volunteer to take one or two of those big beasts to a nursing home as therapy animals, or to preschools, or? Or consider a part-time job at a vet -- even working as a receptionist you'll meet tons of people AND get a much needed discount on vet bills! Newfie clubs, obedience classes, or even pet supply stores might also be good places.

In any case, welcome!

And can I ask how you came to have 8 of these gems? I'm ready for number two now (even though we have horses, donkeys, goats, a pig, a corgi, two cats, chickens and a 7 year old daughter LOL).

:)
    Valerie
    LongEars Farm

14. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

Some good ideas posted here - any local clubs (obedience, carting - heck, start some if there aren't any!), maybe get involved as a 4-H leader, hang around local feed stores, exhibit in the nearest county fair (goats, chickens, or some dog clubs do demos & "meet the breed" stuff). Pretty much all my friends I met through animal clubs or at the fair (I actually met some local folks on-line, though :) - was on an international dog list for flock guards, got to talking sheep, discovered a breeder of a rare breed of sheep I was looking for 3 miles away!)