New additions.....Saanans!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ozark_jewels, Aug 21, 2006.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok, I have seriously gotten into the Saanan thing now. And I'm excited about these does!! :dance: Bought three does and a young buckling from Roach's Saanans in Kansas yesterday. They are just milked out in these pictures and I noticed after downloading the pics that I had their back feet on a slight rise.....<sigh>.....but it will give you some idea of what they look like. They are not as small as these pictures make them look...Sarah holding them is almost 6' tall. :)

[​IMG]

Roach's Saanans Rosemary, four years old.

[​IMG]

Roach's Saanans Tanner, two years old. Been fresh since March 2005 as they milk them through their first year.

[​IMG]

Roach's Saanans Vanessa, dry yearling.

[​IMG]

All three running from my LGD's(they have not been used to dogs).

Tanner and Vanessa are a bit flighty after their move to a larger herd, but they are settling in. Rosemary is a big sweetheart. Ran out of room on the camera for the young buckling. He is just two months old so in in with my late kids. Good thing I already have a young Saanan buck to breed with this fall, as this buckling will not be old enough. :nerd:

2. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Very pretty - but how can you tell them apart?

:)

Lynda

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

One wonders how breeders with large herds of Saanans *can* tell them apart without collars, eh?? Thankfully, these girls all have different shapes, different faces and their udders are shaped differently. From a distance?? Its not so easy! Same way with my white Lamanchas....... :)

4. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Adorable! We had 10 of the flightiest little Saanens once upon a time, most adorable little bright white babies.

I'll be darned if I don't get back into goats in the near future - you people and your goat pics!!! :grump:

5. tioga12

tioga12 Well-Known Member

They are BEAUTIFUL!!! Congratulations.
    Thanks for sharing :)

6. christij

christij Well-Known Member

Very nice!! Yu are si kucky to have so mant goats!!

7. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I just got 3 new does also. I will have to take some pictures. Now to find bucks near bye. I may breed to a sable this year. Same great saanen personality but with color. I hate having to use sunblock on udders.

Nice girls by the way.

Patty

8. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

I love saanens...had one once...too noisey so I had to give her back...went to very quiet nubians :) I have Sunny and her grandaughter...both nearly silent nubians! Really!
    I like your pictures of your saanens, reminds me of my old girl...
    Best wishes!
    ~Carrie

9. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Very nice goats - congratulations!

It's interesting that you say they milk them through their first year. My Saanen, Polly, was a first freshener when I bought her last October. I bred her in January, and I had a hard time getting her to dry off before she kidded. I'm thinking of letting her milk through this time. I guess that's common with Saanens?

Really? Mine are the quietest of the bunch. Polly is only noisy when she's in heat (and then she's really noisy - for four days!)

10. MoCrafter

MoCrafter Well-Known Member

Beautiful Saanens Emily. I love my two and can hardly wait till they kid next spring, so I can start milking them.

Winona

11. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Nice!
    I am a saanen lover myself. Mine are all generally quiet.... Great milkers and very sweet. Milked yours yet? Mine are great to milk..... very easy but w/ quantity.

12. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Not only are they hard to dry up they tend to let anything nurse!

13. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

You can't beat a deal like that if you've got someone in need of a mum! The only Saanen I milked was for a friend once whose entire herd was wild as a hare, the only thing I noticed was how nice it was having lap-goats!

14. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    Emily they are beautiful. I think you will love the breed. The are quiet, gentle, and have very nice milking manners. I love my Saanens.

Anne

15. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I have one Saanen. We named her "Lambkin" when she was a baby because she looked like a little white lamb. She is very affectionate and likes to just stand on the fence while I pet and scratch her head. One of the few who comes to me when I don't have any treats. She hasn't been bred yet buy her udder and spiggots look quite promising.

16. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Not mine! She swings her head and makes "gollum" noises at any kids that aren't hers (not to mention anyone who dares to eat "her" hay - man, that goat can eat!)

She is quietly affectionate. She'll come and stand against my leg, and if I stroke her, she closes her eyes in pleasure. Everybody else wants to climb on me, chew on my clothes, my hair, my boots . . . Oh yes, and she likes to snuffle in my ear, and lick my cheek sometimes.

I love my goats! :angel:

17. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

just lovely. I like Saanens especially.

18. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

One of these days I want to get a saanen milking doe. Just for fun...I have had almost every dairy breed except for Toggs and Saanens. I have been around toggs before and they remind me of alpines. But I have never been around Saanens that much. Hmmm....maybe next spring I will raise me out a little saanen doe :p .

MotherClucker

19. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

Beautiful girls. I especially like the 4 year old and the yearling. Very dairy with great rear angulation. They also look uphill :) .
    We raise Saanens and are thoroughly addicted. Quiet and sweet and lots and lots of milk. Their will to milk is truly phenomenol.

Congratulations again!

Copper Penny Queen
    Whey-to-Go Saanens

P.S. My daughters can tell the goats apart, but I mix up mother/daughters as their faces are so similar. I can tell who everyone are by looking at their udders! :rolleyes: