New Additions! (cow in stall pic, myers)

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Mar 27, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well yesterday it was interesting for a little while. We usually head down to feed the 3 groups, 1ish. Well my mother says, "lets do a head count" for the beef cattle. Well I counted, and after a couple counts it seemed we were missing one. Well, after noticing who was there, I realised JULE IS MISSING. Well I'm thinking, wth, this isn't normal. So we went down to the woods, saw her laying off into the woods. I noticed she was laying odd, well sure enough, hooves are sticking out. We got her up, and instinct takes over. After feeling the hooves, one was cold, I realised this had been going on for a while (I am glad it was sunny and mild). So i reached in, GOLD I FOUND GOLD!, actually I felt no head. Wheeee backwards! So after she walked up a ways, we tied twine on the one leg that wasn't out as far, pulled that even with the other. Now keep in mind, she is standing, and boy that made it easier! After pulling a little, with no movement, the other method kicked in, pull at an angle. Bingo! back end pops out. So now to get it out the rest of the way, after some rolling movement, pulling etc. I held on to her, didn't want her to bang down (never know if she is still alive or not). Well soon after setting her down, SHE'S ALIVE! After stimulating her by moving her a little, getting her to cough up the fluids, her mother licked her (always a good sign). So now to move her, and her mother to the barn. Well, we got the wheeler, put the calf in the wagon, her mother followed her to the barn. Now the calf's leg, that was cold. It wasn't as moble, a little swollen. But she can walk around, her leg is fine. I am glad it was her leg, because if it was her head, im pretty sure the calf would have been dead. Either way, a surprise. I knew she was pregnant, however didn't think she was that close, but those who have herefords i'm sure know this, they can be very tricky. They sometimes do not show much, and calf, and some show it like crazy, and wait 2 weeks beyond when you think they will calf.

Here are the pics.

This is the new one, the "surprise", and backwards. Little heifer too, 2 for 2 (2 heifers that is) so far with her mother.
    [​IMG]

This is "Knees", a little bull calf that will be steered in a couple weeks. I called him Knees, because the last calf she had, was "legs". This one is as long legged as legs was.
    [​IMG]

Here is the picture myersfarm wanted, it is a little late BUT. The week I promised didn't happen, the neck straps came in on Friday. Well that Friday we dehorned 4 heifers, one of them is pictured. The 4 straps also didn't come in as soon as I said, was due to them being backordered. The straps are on 4 other heifers. So tonight I brought Kahlua in, and said let me Get-R-Done.
    [​IMG]

The feeding area is not complete, the way the manger was designed x years ago, it isn't high enough. So I have plans to "raise" it, so its just like pasture.

Jeff

2. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Nice pix Jeff. I bet lots of us are a little envious of your operation. The dam of Knees is she the JerseyXherford,cause I think she looks like an ideal homesteading type of cow. The stalls have me just a little worried though. That heifer ( without checking) around fiteen months old?? Cause she already is close to the back or is it just the shadows playing tricks on me? Also if you raise the feed deck , mature cows may not be able to manuever under the head rail and are then forced to reach over or eat on their knees. Our neighbor had a similiar problem when they installed pasture mats into the stalls. Since they couldn't reach under comfertably these huge holsteins were eating over the rail, heifers jumping over, ect. This was due to a raise of 2-3 inches. I might wait to work on the bunk till the are mature. Your genetics are going to make some pretty big girls.( our Rubens is 61 inches tall and seems like she streches out to 12 feet laying down) Heres a crazy idea borrow someones mature tiestall cow and see how she gets up, lunge space, where they rub against the stall, can they make the turn into the stall, ect. Even if you have tobuy one to practice and perfect your skills before the "big dance" can save a lot of money. Just my two cents.

3. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

jeff nice cow and calf..... why i want a picture i thought it would be a little low in the front when i saw the other picture...but as you say will be easy to raise.....john

4. Lazy J5

Lazy J5 Member

Congrats on the new calves. Glad you got there in time to pull a live calf. Nice looking setup.

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Here is a picture from the back. Kahlua (pictured) is a outside calf, that isn't the full name of the bull, I have the name on her pedigree papers, ill post that later.

[​IMG]

The stall length is 64-66 inches, I think its 66" there, tough to say because it does varry a tiny bit (the barn has a slight curve). Where she came from (the farm), their stall length is 60", and they have some big animals, not a one was standing in the gutter, I was surprised. But either way, she should have tons of room, raising it a little won't compromise her laying position, because it will be flush to the curb, and won't stick up. The room side to side will allow her to lay at a slight angle, and if she did lay at an angle, thats 90+ inches of room. The big test will be next fall, when I start bringing them in, getting them used to the stalls. Speedy, who is the rubens calf, will be very interesting. She almost jumped over the rail while trying to dehorn her (she didn't try otherwise), but I doubt any rail would stop her. I hope she relaxes some by next fall. The others we have aren't high strung.

Edit: Kahlua is 13 months, will be 14 middle of next month. She is HUGE, and i'll bet dollars to donuts, she will be one of my biggest producers (she eats like a pig). When she eats grain, she chomps into it. Problem is, she takes TOO much in, some falls off to the sides.

Oh and knees dam, yeah she is a hereford/Jersey cross. Her mother was a Jersey, father well, is her brother. He got with the Jersey, and Aquarius happened. Thing is, I'm not sure what happened with that inbreeding, Aquarius (pictured) grew as big if not bigger than her mother in 14 months, then calved @ 14 months. It was a total surprise. The better cow for a homestead cow, would be JC. She was the first one that calved this year, we bought two Jerseys a couple springs ago. She nursed (after some tying episodes) those two, then had milk left over. She could produce a good 3 gallons a day, she is also very mild tempered. Aquarius is too, except she isn't big in the milk department.

Jeff

6. BDB

BDB BDB

yup them herefords can be tricky at times friend a mine got two herefords not long ago came home one day and had four herefords didnt even know they where caryin nice cows ya got there nice place to my cousin just moved up state NY purchased an old dairy farm said he loves it up there

7. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Good save Jeff, nice calves, good looking setup !!
    Always feels good when you get the chance to save one like that !!

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

We have another one, calved Monday night. Little bull calf. 4 down, 8 to go, 3 bull calves, 1 heifer. Interesting to note, jule (the surprise) calved 1 month later last year, april 26thish. Aquarius calved 20 days earlier, vildy (monday night) calved 1 month later.

Jeff