New addition!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Mar 15, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well, our Brown Swiss came Sunday. They took her to the fair, so she leads like crazy. I can wrap my arm around her neck, and she will walk with you, she will walk without doing that. Very gentle heifer, heck these Brown Swiss are relaxed. IMO, they would make for a good milk cow for a family, they seem to be hardier, atleast thats what this guy found. A friend of his put up a site for all of his animals. The site is www.wilsonviewfarm.com, Varna is the dam. Should check some of his animals, they are very nice. Winky is the top one at the farm, you'll see. But either way, here is Varnish.

[​IMG]

I also took pictures of all of the herefords, 3 are lacking (steers). I'll be adding the new pictures of the holsteins as well. Now im sure mysersfarm is wondering, where are the pics I promised, soon. Very soon! (Friggen neck collars were back ordered).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Go to www.beechtree.us click on cows, the rest of them are listed. Enjoy!

The bull, like the one above, comes from a farm that has some hellish genetics. The calves from those bulls grow something fierce.

Jeff

2. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

Very nice pictures, good looking cattle. I'm envious that your farm seems to have flat areas that weren't man made. :p

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

brown swiss are very quiet animals . our neighbours had a herd for twentyfive years and the last eight processed the milk on farm for curd and cheese.i milked a friends swiss herd when ever he needed a break(bad back) much quieter tham ayrshires and holsteins . they are mischevious though! leave a gate unlatched or the fencer off and they will wander!!very few herds left around here. my friend sold his when he had the chance to get a purebred holstein herd. worst mistake he ever made he says. cows are good confermation but high maintence . swiss were very adaptable and less health/udder problems.

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Wow, those Herefords are STOUT!

I saw some Brown Swiss go at a dairy auction awhile back ... seemed like real nice cows. Prices seem to be comparable to Holsteins. I hear their butterfat content can be a little higher.

With a name like "Varnish," what are you going to name her calves, Jeff? "Shellac"? "Polly Urethane"? :haha:

5. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Nice cattle Jeff, the cow looks very preggers !!

6. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Grew up with a herd of pure bred Swiss. Only one cow I remeber ever gave us trouble (out of +- 60 at a time (including heifers and dry)) Almost all were very relaxed. Never tested the fence, crossed the road easily, they were awesome animals. And yes, high butterfat content.

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Brown swiss remind me of herefords, very relaxed, and will get into trouble if you leave something unlatched, or if the fence is off (the adults don't even like it when it's off, but once they notice ;)).

But yeah, the one cow pictured is pregnant, actually all of the cows pictured on the website are pregnant. Couple aren't showing much, they calved late. Aquarius, Vildy, Buttercup, and Jule might calve around the same time, oh and cleo. I figure late March into April for those 5, with the rest calving May into July. Expecting 12 total, 1 already calved.

But Alexis (pictured above) is stout willow_girl, I taped her, and she was 1500lbs, according to that tape. Not bad for her sire being from a Jersey, her sire looked like a hereford, horns gave him away though. But even when they aren't pregnant, they are well rounded. Her sire I taped the same, 1500lbs. I was told, naaa no way! Saw his weight on the check that came from the auction, he was 1650lbs.

Jeff

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Added new pictures of the holsteins, check em out www.beechtree.us. Some have grown noticeably. Can't wait till they go out to pasture! They grow like weeds in pasture.

BTW: Willow_girl, here is the mathie heifer.

[​IMG]

They do have a unique head to them..

Jeff