Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now the owner of a pot bellied pig! A friend of mine called me today. They own some property that just has an old barn & shed on it. A neighbor near there called her to tell them that a lady in a van stopped in front of the barn & dumped out a pot bellied pig & took off. So she called to see if I wanted it. She got her nephew to catch it. She's pretty small yet, about the size of my dachsund. Very scared little thing, but I was able to scratch her back tonight. Hopefully she will calm down. She was well taken care of from the looks of her.

I can't believe someone would just dump her out in a place where she had no water or food. :( Why not run an ad or take her to the salebarn if nothing else?? I would have taken her if I would have seen an ad for her. What is wrong with people dumping animals?

Anyway, she is adorable. I had one years ago & have been wanting another. Need to get some pictures.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,435 Posts
For crying out loud! I (almost) wish they'd start dumping pbps around here. But, no. It's just dogs and cats.

I, too, think an ad would have gotten lots of responses, and the woman could have rehomed the poor critter quickly. But, no. Just dump her out somewhere. Some people!

Anyway, I'm sure this li'l gal will have a nice home with you. Enjoy!

NeHi

·
I am a Christian American
2,974 Posts
Makes you kind of want to put an ad in the local paper and let the dumper know that her formerly beloved pet that was unceremoniously dumped now has a home where she/he will be loved and cared for THANK YOU VERY MUCH! What creeps, hopefully their friends would see the ad and berate them. Your a good person Wendy, so is your friend who took the time to catch the poor thing and find a home.

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Don't be so quick to blame the owner. I've known people in the past to grab the neighbor's pets that they didn't like and take them out and dump them. Maybe that 'well-cared for' little pig really WAS well cared for, and some other person took her and dumped her. Perhaps the family is hunting frantically for her.

I'd run an ad all right. Perhaps instead of the neighbors geting to berate the owner, the owner would get a chance to find out who did this to a beloved pet!

You never know!

Meg

·
I am a Christian American
2,974 Posts
Meg Z said:
Don't be so quick to blame the owner. I've known people in the past to grab the neighbor's pets that they didn't like and take them out and dump them. Maybe that 'well-cared for' little pig really WAS well cared for, and some other person took her and dumped her. Perhaps the family is hunting frantically for her.

I'd run an ad all right. Perhaps instead of the neighbors geting to berate the owner, the owner would get a chance to find out who did this to a beloved pet!

You never know!

Meg

Drat! You are right Meg. I apologize for my words. I never even thought of it that way. I am used to so many people dumping animals around here, it gets very frustrating. We have fixed and "rehomed" almost 40 cat/kittens in the last 8 years. We just cannot afford to do it anymore. Right now it seems to have stopped for a bit. I should have thought about it from all angles before I spoke. thanks for the reminder. :angel:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
You know, that is true about someone else might have stolen and dumped the pig. We once found an injured little dog that the owner said a neighbor always complained about, and just mysteriously disappeared from his fenced yard. It was an older dog who never even tried to leave the yard before. It ended up here, miles away. The owner ran an ad for lost dog which we saw and were able to get her back home.
I can just imagine a nasty neighbor hating that pig, and swiping it when nobody was looking. You might want to ask your local animal shelter if anyone has reported a pig missing, unless you don't want the pig to be found...It's your call, it sounds like you will provide it with a great home no matter what.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is no local animal shelter that I know of. Even if someone did swipe it, they have no business dumping it where there is no food & water. I will watch for ads, but I am not going to advertise that one was found. The kids named her Sassy.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I hope no one is missing their very loved and cared for pet. I hate to think that it was stolen and then dumped. :(
I'd be outside my mind if someone stole my Max (my little dog)!
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I see an ad, I'll call it. I'm not that mean. I highyl doubt that is the case though.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I don't think your mean Wendy! I just never thought of someone stealing and then dumping an annoying pet. My doggie can be annoying, so the thought made my heart stop!
Glad your little guy has a loving new home. :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's OK! I never eally thought of it as being a stolen & dumped pet. Actually never crossed my mind. I assumed it was someone that got tired of her. She sure is a cutie!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Well, Im waiting impatiently for pics of her! :)
When I was younger, much younger, I had a boyfriend whom had one. It was very cute! :)
God Bless,
Michele

1 - 14 of 14 Posts