New 5ac Homesteads and Questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by GREEN_ALIEN, Apr 3, 2005.

1. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

Well it looks like my building partner and I just became the proud new owners of 4 5acre lots in Eastern Washington. Yes we plan on building on them for resale and before any of the anti growth types chime in let me explain. Yes we are building and no they will not be any McMansions or any silly anti homesteader friendly rules. Keep in mind, they were for sale and someone would of bought and developed them anyhow, we are just trying to do it in a farmer friendly fashion. We do have some questions that will help make sure we go down the right path and would appreciate any input from fellow readers.

Each comes with a 960 sqft home, well, septic, power, gas, little barn, farrowing pen and a chicken coop. Power may be by solar, we are still working with the power company for costs etc to get it installed... If solar it will come installed.

We know they are small but our intent is to provide lower cost farms for those that don't have deep pockets.

So here are the questions:

1 - What price would you expect to pay for the above? Yes we know what we need to charge but need some data before we go fourth...

2 - What do you see as postives?

3 - What do you see as negatives?

4 - Is the square footage adequate? (960sqft, 2bd, 1bth)

5 - Is the acreage adequate?

6 - HOA with very limited rules or no? ie junk cars, dumping.

7 - Permanent rules that promote livestock ownership etc?

Thanks for any input, it all helps.

Ted

2. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

Well, you asked...

I wouldn't pay spit for it. With that said, here is why...

Most of the fun of homesteading is taking your own plot of land and building it up how you want it.

What makes you think that "those who don't have deep pockets" would be able to afford any of this after you pay contractors, etc to build it?

What is your idea of "affordable"? Is it realistic?

Why would someone who can afford it, not go find their own 5 acres somewhere and pay to have a house built?

Are you assuming that all purchasers will want pigs and chickens? Goats are very popular, too.

Will the floorplans of these tiny houses be functional? I have looked at lots of floorplans which waste space left and right. I have more functional space in my 336 sq ft house that we planned ourselves than I have seen in floorplans up to 1,000 sq ft.

Can they add on to the houses later?

What about garden plots? Is there a limit or can they till up the rest of the five acres that the house isn't sitting on?

I have no doubt that you will find 4 gullable people to buy into it. People buy water too, doesn't make it any less silly.

3. Star In N.C.

Star In N.C. Well-Known Member

1 - What price would you expect to pay for the above? $38,000

2 - What do you see as postives?5ac

3 - What do you see as negatives?960 sqft hse

4 - Is the square footage adequate? (960sqft, 2bd, 1bth)NO our house is 1200sqft and we need more space

5 - Is the acreage adequate?maybe 10 would be better

6 - HOA with very limited rules or no? ie junk cars, dumping.NO

7 - Permanent rules that promote livestock ownership etc?NO

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I hate to say the the idea doesn't sound tempting to me.
    I have no idea about what you would charge in that area, but no doubt you will get takers for 5 acre lots eventually. I doubt they would be much into homesteading. But to fairly attempt answering the questions posed.
    1. Price for such in my area? I looked at a property with about a 1200 sq. ft. house. Price was $60,000 with 15 acres.
    2. The positives are that it's serviced with well, power, septic, barn and a couple of outbuildings. A 'move in' condition is always a plus.
    3. The negatives are probably few for the seller if the price is right. The buyer might not be necessarily a 'homesteader', but that could be a plus for you as a builder to find the clientele williing to pay the price. However, the house would not appeal to the suburbanite yuppies probably.
    4. 960 sq. ft. is adequate for a single or couple, I should think.
    5. The 5 acres is adequate for the stated intent that you place with garden and chicken growing, sure.
    6. I don't know what HOA is. I would think the municipality where the builidng is taking place will have regulations regarding dumping and junk cars, etc.
    7.Again, 'permanent' rules may be designated by the 'powers that be' of that particular municipality and not the builder. It is here.

good luck.

5. GREEN_ALIEN

Here are a few answers.

Thanks for the reply.
    Ted

6. GREEN_ALIEN

Star, you gotta tell me where I can get new construction on 5 acres for 38K woohoo I will move right now.
    Thanks for the reply.

7. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

1200 sq ft with the water and septic placed so the house could be added on to later...Joan

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Rather than having a Fixed amount of sq. footage (960) , why not have 2 or 3 options with different floorplans and sq.footage's and include the possibility of having a structure for covered parking and outside storage. Also , I'd give them the choice of buying with the interior ...finished , OR sell them the completed structure and let Them finishout the interior as they wish . The other facet of this situation is that with Rising interest rates is that IF you have the cash to complete one or more of these structure(s) out of your pocket you might consider selling them on the installment basis . fordy.. :)

9. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

I was all ears until you said home owners association.

I'll tell you what, with the homeowners association in place, I'll let you pay me $25,000 an acre to take them off your hands. I don't intentionally let anyone tell me what I can or can't do with my own property.

10. GREEN_ALIEN

There isnt one yet and that is just the kind of info we are looking for, thank you.
    Ted

11. GREEN_ALIEN

All good points fordy and all have been considered. We do have options in place and pre engineered for several alterations to the plan and since everything will be presale after the first one it will be no problem.

Generally speaking we plan to finish them and we use an allowance system instead of a fixed price so that the future owners get a huge hand in the final cost and fit out. The banks usually require that the house be finished and pass final inspection prior to the builder getting the final payment.

I wish we could cash them out but alas we are builder / farmers and basically have everything tied up in the property, utilities and materials for the first house... that is a great idea though and it would be great to implement if we can grow this idea out.

Thanks for the reply.
    Ted

12. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

I'm hoping you mean well, so- more power to you. The area of the house seems small. I'd rather get a large shell, than a finished interior. The HOA scares the bejeebers out of me!
    Good Luck!

13. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Ted, if you could build the homes so that they would be suitable for chemically sensitive people and charge a reasonable price for them, it would be a blessing. It seems anything that is built in a nontoxic manner has such a high price tag that sensitive people cannot begin to afford it. Most people who are sensitive are also too ill to build, but many would love a place that they could live and garden and have some small livestock eventually.

Things like using casien (milk) paint instead of latex, wood or ceramic floors instead of vinyl or carpet, natural sealers and stains instead of poly, venting stoves and dryers outside, electric stoves, solar heat and water can be inexpensive but make such a difference.

JMHO
    Kim

14. GREEN_ALIEN

Thank you and yes we hope that we mean well also. Our only intent is to provide a solution for wanna bees that cant afford to get to a farm with todays high prices. Sure anyone can run out into the woods and build a cabin but it is only a solution for a small percentage of buyers. People need jobs, insurance, doctors etc.. or at least they think they do. Some people on the forum know how hard it is to find any acerage close enough in to provide what they need yet far enough out to be affordable. We think we can bridge that gap.

OK OK no HOA I promise lol.

Ted

15. GREEN_ALIEN

Kim, If I didn't say so already THANK YOU FOR THE SEEDS.

Some of what you mention has been planed for ie. exterior mounted on demand gas hot water and direct venting of all appliances to the exterior. We would certianly entertain the idea for anyone asking.

Thank you,
    Ted

16. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Sounds cool- if a bit far north for me. :D

17. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd make the "little" barn, chicken coop and farrowing pen options for the buyers with corresponding price adjustments. Not everybody want pigs and chickens and a "little" barn maybe useless except for storage of riding mower and tools. Barn animals NEED certain amounts of sq. footage per animal, depending on the animal as do chickens in order to be healthy and productive. A farrowing pen predicates having a sow AND a boar so where do they both live when the sow is not farrowing? Just personal experiences talking here. I am not familiar with the Wa area any more but out here a 2 bdrm, 1 bath home is very little resale value and if you have every lived in a 1 bath home with even 1 child you know how inconvenient that is - the kid ALWAYS has to go when you are in the bathroom yourself! 2 bdrm, 2 bath at the least so when bedrooms are added there is still adequate toilet facilities.

18. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

People somewhere between "homesteaders" and "those who just want to live in the country" would probably be interested. I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding buyers if the price is really that good. Will you share.. how much are you thinking of selling this little package for?

I think 960 s.ft. would scare a lot of people off. People are fairly shocked that we live in a 1000 s.ft. with three kids. It's fine, but try convincing people who think 2000 s.ft. is small. haha.

Around here, something like that would go for anywhere from $300k to $400k, or more, as you get closer to the city. New construction brings more money. But, this is the east, so a totally different ballgame.

I would absolutely stay away from the HOA phrase. That will send people running. But I don't think the type of folks who'd be interested in something like this would mind a no junk car rule.

Ok, I really wanna know... how much?

19. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

1. A minimum of $100000 around here. No idea of what it would be in eastern Washington
    2. The 5 acre parcel is definitely a huge positive
    3. 2 huge negatives Off-grid electricity and a house only 960 sq ft. Personally, the off-grid would be an instant NOT INTERESTED for me.
    4. I'm of the opinion that the square footage is far too small
    5. The acreage is VERY adequate. If anything, the acreage should be decreased while the square footage is increased.
    6. HOA with reasonable restrictions. YES IMHO, no restrictions is an open invitation to junk cars, nonstop howling dogs, and other things which have the effect of devaluing adjoining property.
    7. Livestock. NO. Just my opinion.

I wish you the best on building the spec homes. I happen to think the no electricity thing is a storm cloud on the horizon.

20. GREEN_ALIEN

goatlady, homebirtha and hoop thanks for the replies.

Homebirtha - just cause you really wanna know... as of right now, baring anything wierd from the county 85K normal power / 95K Solar (sorry guys it is what it is)
    Yep, we know it is small but there are few options for some folks and the plan is expandable including attic space.

Hoop - Why would you be so against solar / wind power? I can assume it is because you might live in an area where it is less than attractive. Eastern Wa is anything from desert to high desert to mountain. Very few cloudy days, usually some wind and although cold in the winter it still gets good sun. The system we have planed will run the home and even power tools pretty much like any other home. Yes we are leaving out dishwashers and microwaves and going gas where we can to help.

goatlady - yep, we know what needs what as far as space and yes some items were left off the description as not necessary. lol don't forget AI hehehe. I agree it is a small house by mcmansion yuppie usa standards but many people have and do live in far less with more people. We want to provide a start for those that otherwise may never get a chance in todays escalating market, that means small to start. They can always go up and out as it is affordable.

Thanks,
    Ted