Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 45 minute lecture by an attorney AND a police detective, given to a class of law students, that explains why you should NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE if they are asking you questions.

If you have never watched this, you should. It may save your butt some day.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
18 year old, walking home from his job at Wal-Mart, winds up arrested and spends the night in jail. For the rest of this kids life he will have to answer yes to the question "have you ever been arrested" on employment applications, rental applications, security applications, professional licensure applications, etc.

Because the cops can arrest you for walking down the street.

While this kid didn't handle it perfectly, the arrest was unreasonable. This is an 18 year old kid who made it clear from the beginning that he didn't need help and just wanted to be left alone. Cops couldn't let him do that, so found a reason to arrest him. Each of us break laws every single day that could result in our arrest. Something's gotta change.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I've always trained my children to never answer questions from the police, if arrested ... only to wait and ask for their parents and/or an attorney. I've no disrespect for the police in general, as they have a deadly (not just dirty) job these days, but if the opening line is "anything you say can and will be used against you ..."

Add to that, the fact that some policing styles include tricking you into giving info, and one should never do more than ask for parents/attorney ...

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Oh yeah, especially after you've used deadly force. You are going to jail at that point, the only thing you can do at that point is worse in the charges or chance that you will be convicted.
The NRA keeps track of justified shootings in the US. On average, if you did everything right, and were justified in the use of deadly force, it will cost you fifty thousand dollars in legal fees. This does not include any civil judgement their family might win against you.

Hand the officer your drivers license, your ccw permit and shut up. Let your lawyer can tell them what happened.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
The NRA keeps track of justified shootings in the US. On average, if you did everything right, and were justified in the use of deadly force, it will cost you fifty thousand dollars in legal fees. This does not include any civil judgement their family might win against you.

Hand the officer your drivers license, your ccw permit and shut up. Let your lawyer can tell them what happened.
They sell insurance plans for that.

Reactions: Laura

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
18 year old, walking home from his job at Wal-Mart, winds up arrested and spends the night in jail. For the rest of this kids life he will have to answer yes to the question "have you ever been arrested" on employment applications, rental applications, security applications, professional licensure applications, etc.

Because the cops can arrest you for walking down the street.

While this kid didn't handle it perfectly, the arrest was unreasonable. This is an 18 year old kid who made it clear from the beginning that he didn't need help and just wanted to be left alone. Cops couldn't let him do that, so found a reason to arrest him. Each of us break laws every single day that could result in our arrest. Something's gotta change.
He should be able to have that expunged.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've never seen a job application that asked if you have ever been arrested, only if you have ever been convicted of a crime. Same with security clearances, and I've done a bunch of them.

I do fully agree that you should never let the police question you, and you should never say anything except "I want to speak to my attorney".

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've never seen a job application that asked if you have ever been arrested, only if you have ever been convicted of a crime.
Every time I get credentials at another hospital I have to answer yes to "Have you ever been arrested" and give a brief explanation.

Same when I got my license. I'm lucky I didnt have to go in front of the medical board to explain myself (was arrested and charges dropped years before).

And if I remember right the security clearance questionnaire asked as well.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Every time I get credentials at another hospital I have to answer yes to "Have you ever been arrested" and give a brief explanation.
I find this interesting. Legally, an employer can't ask if you have ever been arrested. They can, however, in most states asked if you've ever been convicted. Arrested vs conviction, that's two totally different things.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
They sell insurance plans for that.
Yes they do. In the mean time you will be treated like a mass murderer in the media, almost certainly loose your job, and possibly set in jail for months if you can't afford to make bail. I carry every day, but would only engage if myself or wife were in danger. And would always retreat if it were possible. The letter of the law is much less important, than the mood of the mob.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
MS2, I don't have the CCW yet, but it is in the works ... will follow your strategy to a tee, plus, I think, add the insurance plan for all members of the family! It's a last resort, but better than being a victim, or standing over the grave of one of mine.

While there are various efforts to "ban the box" (ask the question of arrest, conviction, etc.), it's on a state by state basis, and therefore you might still see it ... add to that businesses being involved in this mess, and that might explain why some business applicants see it and some don't. I've seen it enough to think it is still prevalent ... I think I've seen less "arrest" and more "felony", but the wording is horrible in every case, and probably designed to get you to reveal information.

In my line of work (IT), I still have to pee in a cup, far too often, and I can't think of a single piece of heavy equipment I have to drive in a computer data-center ... so while we're at it ... BAN THE CUP!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Legally, an employer can't ask if you have ever been arrested.
I would like to see where those laws are at. Never heard of them here. But even if you have that in your state, doesnt stop the government (like licensing agencies) from asking.

Even if stricken from your criminal record you still have to answer yes, because it DID happen, and have to explain it for a medical license.
Yes they do. In the mean time you will be treated like a mass murderer in the media, almost certainly loose your job, and possibly set in jail for months if you can't afford to make bail
Like the guy who took a shotgun into WalMart to find a sling that fit. Front door greeter told him it was fine, manager freaked, PD called and they tazed him. Charges dropped, but still lost job because media hysteria about him being a mass shooter that was stopped by PD.....

...never trust the media, and dont trust the PD.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I would like to see where those laws are at. Never heard of them here. But even if you have that in your state, doesnt stop the government (like licensing agencies) from asking.

Even if stricken from your criminal record you still have to answer yes, because it DID happen, and have to explain it for a medical license.

Like the guy who took a shotgun into WalMart to find a sling that fit. Front door greeter told him it was fine, manager freaked, PD called and they tazed him. Charges dropped, but still lost job because media hysteria about him being a mass shooter that was stopped by PD.....

...never trust the media, and dont trust the PD.
Correct, don't trust anybody. On the other hand, you should use your head and don't do stupid things. Like carrying a long gun into a store. What in the blue eyed world did he think was going to happen? I'm sorry, that was a silly question. He didn't think.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He was trying to find a sling for a Shotgun. If you ever try to do that you'll know that there are many different types and styles of slings and attachment points. He stopped at the front greeter, showed for the shotgun, asked if it was okay oh, and she said yes. So he walked back to the sporting goods and was looking for a sling when a manager freaked out and called the police. In a major city I think that would be a stupid thing to do, this was in a rule Walmart, I think in Arkansas.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
He was trying to find a sling for a Shotgun. If you ever try to do that you'll know that there are many different types and styles of slings and attachment points. He stopped at the front greeter, showed for the shotgun, asked if it was okay oh, and she said yes. So he walked back to the sporting goods and was looking for a sling when a manager freaked out and called the police. In a major city I think that would be a stupid thing to do, this was in a rule Walmart, I think in Arkansas.
You shouldn't plan for what you think should happen, but for what might happen no matter what your intentions were.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts