Never need battery flashlight information

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Thumbbuddy, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Thumbbuddy

Thumbbuddy Well-Known Member

Can anyone please furnish information on the flashlight's I see advertised on television where you never need batteries or a bulb and are unbrakeable and waterprof, when it goes dim all you have to do is shake it for 20 seconds and it is recharged again, does it really stand up to it's advertisement? Sounds like a very good item to have in case of power failure and a very good item in your survial pack while hiking and also in a car for emergencies , NEVER NEED BATTERIES, too good to be true.

2. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Absolutely! We have several and have given them for Christmas presents. They do work - they don't give a super-strong search lite like hi-beam lights, but they are rugged and dependable. I gather you are talking about those shake flashlights. Just be sure not to shake them vigorously and never up and down. Side to side will do it.

3. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Our's aren't the kind you shake. They are wound up, and the more you wind them the brighter they get. I love them! Batteries are so expensive. I am going to get a radio that works the same way pretty soon.

4. Thumbbuddy

Katlupe, I see they have advertisments on the top of the page for the flashlights, where can I find out about the wind up flashlights? Thumbbuddy

5. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

6. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

7. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

I have a wind up flashlight and radio combination. I love it. I keep it around the house and take it camping. This one is called the Dynamo Survivor. I have the box here in front of me and it says its a multi function unit that can jump start a battery, power electronics, is an AM/FM radio, has a super bright light, an emergency blinking light, an emergency siren (I accidentaly set this off and boy oh boy was it loud). It has a power level indicator and all the adapters. It can be charged from an outlet or by hand crank.
    Here is a website that gives a picture and description http://www.unbeatablesale.com/vt008.html I like this one so much better than having to dig for batteries or using the rechargeable coleman spotlight that isn't safe to have around kids.

8. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

Trustworthy hardware in Soldotna Alaska sells them all the time carrys them by the case load. 20 cases at a time. they are great I got both kinds. the sales tax is 5% You could contact them as the stores in Alaska are so used to "bush" orders (what we call the orders from people who shop by phone as they have no roads for cars) that they would be able to ship them to you.

9. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

i,ve got shakers, winders, and battery types...the shakers are good for long term storage. (no batteries to go bad or dead), the winders are good also, but i worry about the longivity of the mechanics in those...i fear that a plastic gear would break during a time of need...(when else would it break?).

the small shakers are for sale locally where i am.. they are good size for gloveboxes and emergency kits... they are not the best for strong, long use light, but other than that i like them.

10. Thumbbuddy

WOW, I didn't realize their were that many items out their using this type of energy. The wind up type posted by Lv Dem Wings that have all the accessories, especially the jump start a car battery.----NOW---Another question, Anyone know of info. to make system or plans for converting to wind mill or a water wheel, now we are getting a little wild from the thread, maybe it should be posted on another thread. Thanks for all the in put. Thumbbuddy, More is welcome

11. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

lol, i have been discussing/inquiring about home power generation on about three or four threads here this and last week.

12. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

My shake flashlight had a warning with it that it could erase computer disks. I set it down on a cd before I read the warning and the disk never worked again, so I guess it erased it. Now I keep it far away from all computer stuff.

13. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

Just make sure that you find out the brands that work for everyone. Last christmas I was so excited about these I ordered them for all of the men on my shopping list (11). When they arrived, the were so cheap and didn't shine a light bright enough to shine 4" in front of you in pitch black. I sent them all back for a refund. Sounds like there are some good ones out there though.

14. Ozark-Dew

Ozark-Dew AMDG

Orschelns has them on sale for $7.99 down from 19.99 and they are fantastic!

We also have an old military gear one that you generate the electricity by pumping it - only it does not store the energy so you have to continually pump it - still it is a good 50+ years old and still works!

15. dseng

dseng Member

Just a quick reply for the poster who mentioned a problem with their "shaker" flashlight erasing computer media... (mellba?)

If you set it on or place it near computer floppy disks it can cause a problem because floppies use a magnetic coating.

However, setting it on a CD shouldn't cause a problem at all - CD's work not because of a magnetic coating, but by a series of tiny "dimples" that reflect the laser light in the CD reader. The only way setting a magnetic anything on a CD could cause a problem is if it scratched the CD.

16. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Shakelights are NOT indestructible!
    The USPS managed to turn a package of three into a worthless mess. (Good thing they were insured.)

I'm giving several of them for Christmas.
    (I prefer the wind-up flashlights for my own use.)

The only thing bad I've read about them is that you have to be careful about following the shaking directions - horizontal, not vertical. Evidently, there have been some cases of breaking an end out of the flashlight when it's shaken vertically.

17. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

I've used one of the shakers and was not impressed. Maybe mine was a poor example, but it gave barely enough light to be usable, and died very quickly after shaking it for a while. It would run for maybe 20 seconds before it needed more shaking.

18. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Why not go for the LED flashlights - the batteries last forever !!!! Bright, nice beam, no breaking bulb.........I havent changed my batteries in OVER A YEAR !!!!!

19. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I love my LED flashlights and they hardly use any battery power. I also have a handcrank one called The Illuminator that has 3 LEDs that I like.

You can get the Forever Flashlight for $15 from Sierratradingpost.com right now.

20. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

Yep I have a mag light one that is run off of 1 aaa and it is brighter than a 2 cell c or d battery flashlight and I use it several times a week and its had the same battery for about five months now. Its about the size of your average pinki finger. Excellent lights.