Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being part of a surgical team is never dull.

Especially the part where you clock out, go home, get into jammies, cuddle up in bed, and fall asleep and then you get THAT call.

Ring. Ring. Ring----fumbling around for the phone "hello?"
"Were calling in the surgical team"
Me still asleep "yeah ok" the only two words I can mumble at this point

Jump into something decent, jump into the car, manage to wake up enough to drive.... lol

I forgot not only socks, but also my employee badge this time :lookout::nono::p

Thats what I get for rushing out the door mostly asleep.

So here I am..........waiting for surgery to need me.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I hope you are awake by the time they need you!

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It turned out it was only a c-section and they didn't need me at all....I was clocked in for only a few minutes. But, I had to be at work again today so I just crashed in the on-call room.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
Keep that jump bag in the trunk/backseat.....extra change of whatever you might need including extra deodorant/toothbrush etc.. and throw in a bottle of your favorite soda and snack candy. I'm not on any trama team but I do get those middle of the night "sir, we have a report of a drowning/lost child/homicide etc.." so I can appreciate your situation. Any phone call after midnight is rarely good.

David

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
I've been there. too.
A hundred years ago I was an OR tech (LPN)
and after going back to school had to do on-call duty as a medical lab tech.

Both were great jobs with lots on interesting experiences, but the lack of adequate sleep on too many occassions can really cause havoc on the body whose shadow has begun to grow longer.

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
No socks? You weren't quite conscious, were you?

I take call too, but for us, those midnight calls usually mean a patient who's bleeding. After next month, I don't think I'll have to be on call anymore. HOORAY!!:zzz:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts