Nettles As Vegetable Rennet For Cheese

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Gailann Schrader, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Ok. I can find sites where it mentions stinging nettles to use as rennet for cheesemaking. BUT. It doesn't really tell me much more than make a strong infusion in a pint of water. What amount of it do I use for a gallon of milk? And how much stinging nettle do I use for that? I have several ACRES of stinging nettles. At this point, I weed whip them down and the goats eat them after they dry a bit. Thanks everyone! It's nettles for everyone at this point... :haha: :eek:

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

http://www.windward.org/ush/cheese.htm

Okay, now tell me how much fig sap to use? I tried it with grocery cow's milk (powdered and cream) last winter and got decent cheese. But trees were dormant and I was just playing.

katy

3. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

4. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

westbrook, that's the ricotta recipe I found. :) I modified those directions and made minute quantities of both parmesan and blue cheese. Today I did one more search and came up with a pdf file that might help folks test homemade rennet for strength; it included fig sap directions! Okay, it's buffalo milk but...

I can't seem to post the site but it's the 1st that comes up below--or is for me.
    [ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=MANUAL+ON+THE+PRODUCTION+OF+TRADITIONAL+BUFFALO&btnG=Google+Search[/ame]

katy

5. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance