Netflix any good?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TexasArtist, Oct 8, 2005.

1. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Has anyone here signed up or use the netflix movie service? I would maybe like to try it but I want to know if it's worth it. Are there any others that might be better?

2. wildwestwoman

wildwestwoman Well-Known Member

i LOVE netflix. We live over 65 miles from the nearest theater. It makes it well worth the money to use Netflix. The turnaround for us is just a few days. The really cool thing is that they have all different kinds of movies. They have regular movies but they also have documentaries, musicals, and lots of special interest stuff. I might get rid of my dish but not net flix.

Best wishes

Suzi

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I've had good luck last few months. Only one unwatchable and they sent out another copy immediately without waiting to receive bad copy back. I just havent had any problems. Key to keeping cost per movie down is to get them back in mail quickly. I started out with default 3 movies at a time but far too many for me and am down to the 1 movie at a time at half the monthly cost. And not just movies, I have enjoyed rewatching some old PBS shows and some cable shows out on dvd since I would never pay for cable/satellite service. I always get movies sent back quickly so cost with 3 movies at time ran little over $1 per movie. With the 1 movie at a time it runs around $2 per movie. The effective price per movie goes up if you are procrastinator about getting them returned. Before Netflix, I rarely rented movies cause it was hassle to make special trip to return them and there were penalties if you returned them late. Only penalty with Netflix is you get fewer movies for your monthly fee if you procrastinate on returns since they dont send the next movies until they receive back the ones you have out.

4. mamacags

mamacags Well-Known Member

I love it! It is great for my family. We love watching movies. Especially hard to find old Disney family movies. We probably get about 15-20 movies a month. We watch them the same day and then return the the next morning. Because the warehouse is only 30 miles away they usually get the movies back the same day we send them.

We have had it at least 6 months and in that time I have only had one problem with a movie that was missing 5 mins in the middle. They shipped another copy out the next day.

5. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

the only drawback I had, was that you were charged wether or not you used the services. We had busy months where we got home and could not stay awake to watch a movie....sometimes it pays for us, sometimes it doesn't.

6. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

We like it. Get about 3 movies/week. We like old westerns and they have lots! Much better money-wise than renting f/local bus. We had one broke and they replace instantly.

7. texican

texican Well-Known Member

love it, as I like stuff that comes on broadcast Never, and the satty once in a blue moon....problem is I'm down to just a few movies, and I've been waiting forever for the Blues Brothes rerelease to get to me...

if you live a ways from town, it's about the only game in town... better selection than the competition.... although the last two months they Have limited the # of movies to like 12 a month...was getting around 15 to 16 before...

8. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

We enjoy it alot. Basically, if a movie is on DVD, they have it. I pay about a fourth of what it was costing me at the video store and that's not including the gas for a 28 mile roundtrip.

9. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I use blockbuster online... its bit cheaper and for some reason its faster on the returns. I can put a dvd in the mail monday and anothe is in the box thursday morining. sometimes faster, i dunno how they do that.

10. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

It's a mixed bag. It's only worth the cost if you watch a lot of movies. When we joined they were brand new, I felt their selection was somewhat limited. However, they are great with their customer service (rare these days), and it saves on fuel driving to town to return movies, so I think we will re-sign again this winter. I'm sorry to hear they are starting to limit how many movies you can rent per month. Wasn't that one of the selling points, unlimited? Oh well, so it goes with high demand.

11. mamacags

mamacags Well-Known Member

The limit for the rent 3 at a time option is 40 per month. I still haven't figured out how to get 40 a month though. :shrug:

12. DutchessR

DutchessR Well-Known Member

I think Netflix is contracting out their service to Blockbuster under the latter's own imprint. Turnaround time is dependent on your proximity to the distribution center--when I lived in CA my turnaround time was a day or two, but now it's closer to 3-4 days.

We love the service, especially because we can get operas, documentaries, tv series, etc that aren't available at the store. Not to mention that it's 4.99 per DVD at Blockbuster, while we pay 19.99/mo and get, on average, 10-15 DVD's per month (3 at a time, unlimited per/mo). If you like anything other than the "New Releases," then Netflix is a great service.

13. River Rest

River Rest Home-Insteader

We're too far out for cable. The mountain blocks satellite. Regular TV reception is limited. Netflix has been great. Or turn around time is 2-3 days.

14. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

As far as I can remember there is no sign up fee, so try it and see if it works for you.

My wife and I kept track of how many DVDs a month we were averaging fro them with turnaround time. We then figured if it was worth it based on what the local video store was charging. Of course, you have consider gas and convenience in the mix.

Overall, we liked it, but cancelled for the summer since we stay busier during that time doing other things.

15. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Thank you everybody. The reson I was asking about it is because my dad LOVES movies but due to illness he no longer has an imune system so he can't go to movies anymore so I was thinking maybe this would be good for him since its about the only actvity he can do anymore. I'll let him know what you all have said when I get to their house in awhile. Also we live about 56 miles from the nearest movie rental place so it is quite expensive when everything is added up. Thanks again

16. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Your dad will love it, then. The great thing about it is they have such a selection. He'll be able to watch movies as well as TV shows that he might have enjoyed years ago. I'm too far out for cable and get a few channels over the air, so I miss a lot of the current TV programs. I'm now able to see some of these and it's nice to know what folks are talking about!

I use the one DVD at a time option and it works good for me. Sounds like your dad would be able to use more than that.

Hope he enjoys it and feels better. :)

Jennifer

17. ARMORER

ARMORER Oklahoma Inbred Asatru

we use netflix also -great deal-there are three of us -we each pick out our own movies to watch-turn around time is two days for us-lots of great movies-ARM

18. decamper

decamper Well-Known Member

We've been receiving Netflix DVDs for over a year now. Of course, fourteen year old gets the most movies. I pick out a lot of DVDs for homeschooling lessons like Thomas Jefferson, The Underground Railroad, etc. Nothing like staying home to watch a movie and then just putting the DVD in the mailbox; no running to town to return the movie AND no late fees.

19. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I have a friend in NYC that uses them because she is too busy to go to the theatre. She likes them. I live around the corner form a movie store, so I just go there.

20. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I loved it when I had it. Not only was it convenient but for me it was far cheaper than the local video store. New releases were 3.50 if I remember right. Rent 3 or 4 movies a week and it would add up.

When I had it I could manage to turn around 6 movies a week easily at Netflix. Generally, if I put a DVD in the mail on a Monday am I had another movie on Wednesday. I only had one DVD that was too scratched to play and Netflix took care of it.

I dropped it back about a year and a half ago. I was/am just too busy to make it pay. I miss it a lot.