Nesting box question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Back2Basix, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Back2Basix

Back2Basix Well-Known Member

So today is day 28 and i put the nest boxes in for the first time. The does seemed to really like them but now I'm worried. They stated burrowing which was a good sign but they've dug all the material out of them. Is that normal??

2. ridgerunner1965

ridgerunner1965 Well-Known Member

well some does like to make their own nests and will take everything out and then put it back in.

is she hopping around the cage with hay in her mouth? if so your good,maybe. make sure yu have plenty of nest material where she can get to it.they will waste a lot in cages. i used a lot of bermuda hay in the hay ricks on the cages.its a good soft hay and worked well for building nests.

im not clear if your buns are in cages or on dirt? i only have experience in cages mostly. the rabbits i raised on dirt pretty much took care of therselves.

i also put my boxes in a bit earlier by a couple days or two.some does need more time to get used to the box in ther home.if the box scares them they will birth on the wire and babies will die.

3. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I always put my nesting boxes in on day 28 with no problems, except for one Doe she gets her on day 34. I put the box in that morning, she jumps in it in a little and pulls fur like she was in a race then starts having them in a little while. Many times she had delivered this way, every time on day 34---if I put the box in on day 33 she just takes the hay out the box completely and has the babies on day 34 in a empty nesting box.

4. Back2Basix

They're in cages and no fur pulling yet. I'll add more hay and they'll dig a nice little hole. Come back a few hours later and they've dug down to the hardware cloth at the bottom of the box.... Ugh

5. Back2Basix

Well i woke up to 1 nest full of fur, so I'm optimistic!!!

Fire-Man likes this.