nestbox timing

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by meggie, Jul 31, 2005.

1. meggie

meggie Well-Known Member

When do you all put your nestboxes in? I have been following the book and putting them in on the 27'th day after breeding , but some of my girls seem to use them as bathrooms before the birth . Should I wait till the 30'th day or is that too risky ? :shrug:

2. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

3. JayinCT

JayinCT Well-Known Member

I do 28 days also. I have a couple young does that make the same mistake, I just keep them clean for the couple days it takes. Once they have little ones in there, most of them will keep it clean. They learn over time to use the box for nesting and not as a bathroom. Those that don't are immediatly culled out.

4. meggie

meggie Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I'll try the 28 day thing . Maybe they'll get it right this time.

5. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Just out of ignorant curiosity ... what is the problem in putting the nest box in earlier? I only did cages for about 9 month and I guess I lucked out in all that .. never had a problem and I just put it in when I thought of it or I saw nest building starting.... I'm assuming there must be a problem with putting it in too early?

I don't have to worry about these issues right now but I'll probably be running some cages in the near future to compare returns between cage and colony. Thought it might be good to now the "gotchas".

J

6. JayinCT

JayinCT Well-Known Member

The problem with putting them in early is, you risk the mother using it as a hang out rather than a nesting box. If she gets used to using it as a spot to pee and poop, it's hard to break her of it, and it's also sure to cuase problems for the kits with the bacteria in there.