Nestbox Size

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by thornapplehill, May 22, 2005.

1. thornapplehill

thornapplehill Member

Hiya,
    I was wondering what size nest boxes you all use. I raise Rex's and most books I've read recommend a 12"x12"x20" or so for med sized breeds. I put one together today and it looks ridiculously huge. It fits in my cages, but since I use quonset style cages, it ends up taking up half the cage (30"x36").

So anyway, what sizes work best for you all?

Shawn

2. kisota

kisota Active Member

I raise NZW for meat, and I would say your nest box's are very big. That doesnt make any differance if you have room, but I take it that you don't. My box's are 10" wide, 16" long, 9" high at the back, and 4" high at the front. I go 3/4 of the way on top and cut the wood at a slant, 9" to 4" in front and put a piece of wood on the 9" so the Doe can get away from the little ones for awhile to give her a rest. I hope this helps.

Kisota :cool:

3. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

From what i understand from Pat Lamar and others and now some of my own experience is that you want the nest box just large enough for the rabbit to get in and nurse but small enough that she will not be comfy in there. If she is comfy she will hang out in it and soil it.