Nestbox Questions

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by VBF, Mar 7, 2018.

1. VBF

VBF Member

I've been watching Worm Gitter on YouTube and was wondering how many other people use newspaper in their nestboxes instead of hay or straw? What kind of climate do you live in? (We live in Northern MI, where winters can go on forever.)
    Also, what do you think of his set up (wooden nestboxes are built onto the side of cages with a removable wall)? Would it work as good or better than drop down nestboxes? I am having more kit deaths than I like due to either hopping out or getting dragged out of their nestbox while still latched on to momma.
    Thanks,
    VBF

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Paper Not for me!! I do not have any problems with my normal nesting boxes but nesting boxes in the floor might be better??

3. arnie

arnie Well-Known Member Supporter

news paper seems to trap moisture and stay wet, and gets packed down providing no insulation . having a nest on the side of your cage will work with a proper door/entrance, it has to high enough to keep the kits rom hopping out (at least 5-6 inches from the floor ) , and small enough that latched on kits are scraped/knocked off as the doe exits, About 5inches round for mid sized rabbits . subfloor nest are nice and should be 6-8 inches deep with a top in cold weather ( picture a 3sided box 6 inches high ) and the subfloor nest a wooden drawer or lined with card board in summer . heres a wood n wire hutch I built with a drawer nestbox that slides in n out when needed ;of course you could just drop a standard nest box into a wire floor .where the entrance is level with floor wire . I like to have a layer of pine wood chips in the nest bottom then soft hay or straw .

Attached Files:

crittermomma likes this.
  4. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

I have not kept rabbits yet, but I would listen to Fire-Man and Arnie. I like Worm Gitter's videos, but I wouldn't go with newspaper if I had something else for their reasons, plus, I wouldn't trust the ink used even if it's supposedly "safe" according to the newspaper company. Both our local rags get ink all over you when you read them. I'll be ordering my wire soon and I'm going with drop down boxes similar to what Hillbilly Half Acre Homestead (also Youtube) builds for his. I'm going to have a wire cover though, that after the kits are weaned, I can drop down that wire to cover the box to give mama more room. Also, I'm thinking about building one side of the nest box to swing open so I can dig the kits out for inspection. I'll cover the top hole, then open the side so I can get to the kits keeping mama upstairs so I don't get bitten. Once mama is proven and she's used to me, I won't worry about it so much, but being a "never done this yet" kinda guy, I really don't care to have my fingers taken off until I'm more used to the rabbits myself. :) I like that slide out box Arnie, but I'm trying to go all wire for cleanliness. That's a cool design though, I might try to work that in. :)

arnie likes this.
  5. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

Hmmm..... was just thinking plastic shoe box with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage/circulation. That may not be big enough, but if I could find the right size plastic box at the Dollar Tree or somewhere, that could slide right into the wire drop down box. Open the door, slide out onto a table, inspect, slide back in. :)

arnie and DollCan like this.
  6. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Hi there! When things go tight? and it's SUPER COLD out? I have some pieces of 1 inch thick styrofoam ins. I line the bottom of the nest box with it! in some cases i can line the sides where they are up against the outer wall. when they are old enough, I remove the styrofoam sheets, and stick em back on the shelf if needed again? i never leave them cause I know somebody would get the bright idea to chew it up? or figure they would? hehe I try not to have a litter when it's gonna be super cold? but?? it. happens! most of the time plenty of hair is pulled and it's no matter! but I'm not in an extreem climate! like Alaska! or up north! there I think I would always use the styrofoam sheeting. it into proper size prices? or an extra board on the bottom n sides and hope Momma pulls enough hair! keep a fairly tight nest box maybe in a cold area? as to not allow the nest material to spread apart and allow the kits to be exposed to the open cold? best wishes, ray

crittermomma and Lookin4GoodLife like this.
  7. crittermomma

crittermomma Well-Known Member

I like your drawer system! Pretty sweet!

arnie likes this.