Nest Material

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Rancher, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Rancher

Rancher Well-Known Member

Just heard of an idea (maybe its an old idea, its just the first time I ever heard it). Has anyone ever used Dryer Lint for nesting boxes? Its seems like a great idea since winter is coming up. A little added warmth with the hay and hair might be just what the doctor ordered. Did anyone ever try this? Is it safe for the rabbits? Enquiring minds want to know.
    Rancher

2. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Rancher,

There was a discusion about this on another list recently and it was said to be a no no but now I dont remeber why. I always have a brown paper bag [plasic bags will hold moisture] and save rabbit fur from overzealous fur pullers. I use this when I have a doe that doesnt pull much fur.

3. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

I have looked at my lint and wondered about this also, but I don't think that the dust and fine particles would be good for the babies to breathe.
    I have an angora buck that can not/should not be used for breeding (one descended testicle) that I keep as my official "fur donor" :haha: He gives me plenty of fur to add to the boxes that are lacking!
    Nan

4. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

I'd be concerned about residue from detergent, bleach, softener and dryer sheets. It can't be healthy for newborn rabbits or for the doe who licks them.

My does are pretty good with padding their nests with their own fur, but they really seemed to like it when I tossed a batch of dog hair in one of the pens (just to see if they'd use it). My husky sheds an enormous amount of super-soft undercoat hair... the does carried it off to their nests and apparently didn't think twice about the doggie scent.