Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -

I have a new litter of bunnies and am wondering about cleaning out the nesting box.... is this necessary? I hate to disturb this adorable little family, but aren't there bunny poops in there that need to be cleaned out to keep everyone healthy?

/g.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If the bedding is dry I let it go and then at 2 weeks from kindle I remove old bedding and put in fresh hay. If the bedding is wet then I will change it earlier. Save some dry fur to reline the nest box and put in fresh hay or what ever you use.

·
Registered
415 Posts
After the litter is born, I give mama doe a treat (apple, oats etc.) I take the nest box out check for any dead babies, any bloody nest material and remove it. Then usually about 7-10 days I clean it again. I save the clean fur and some clean straw. I add the new straw to the bottom of the nest and place the saved straw, fur and babies to the top. I do check daily for dead kits and remove them asap. I also will use floor bottoms with holes to help keep things dry unless it is extremly cold then I use solid bottoms. I use a gage of how often I am changing things of how much milk the babies are getting....if they are nursing well they will be urinating a lot (plus they are growing) Rarely do I have a doe that soils a nest. It is imperative for the health of the babies to keep it dry.
Denise

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.