Nest Boxes & Eye Infections

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Hilda, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

I have been reading various differing ideas on what to do about nest box cleaning before the kits open their eyes to help prevent eye infections.

I'm just wondering what people here do with the nest box? Do you clean it out completely and replace the filling just before the kits eyes open?

Thanks!

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I do now! I had a couple of kits in one litter last winter end up with nest box eye and it is much easier to prevent than treat.

By the time their eyes are ready to open, they also have enough fur that they don't need quite as much in the way of nest materials, unless it is very cold. The easiest safest way, if you have an extra nest box, is to get the fresh one all ready and then transfer the kits to it -- and then take the old one away to be cleaned out and disinfected.

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Ooh, thanks for the reminder. I have some English Angora babies that are a week old today, so they need new nest material.

I've only done this a few times, but when I did, I just cleaned out everything. I dunno...it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to clean out the box to "prevent infections" and then *leave* old bedding material in it. :shrug:

4. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Girls, girls, girls! What would I do without you? :) Thanks so much for the replies yet once again.

I changed the nesting material in Thyme's next box this morning. Thought you might like to see what the little rascals look like.

[​IMG]

5. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, they are so sweet, Hilda! And so glossy! And so plump!