Nest Box question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by animal_kingdom, May 13, 2005.

1. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I just put the nest box in with my rabbit. I also provided straw for her and put some in the box to start it and left some out for her to use and work with.

I saw her laying in the box and she fits well in there. I thought it was too big but it works great. My daughter and dad made it.

Anyway, my concern is that should I have it in there if she hangs in there all day OR is the real concern only if she eliminates in there?

This is her 27th day from the mating.

Btw...she looks so cute and cozy in there!

Thanks!

2. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

No problem if she hangs in there all day, if she gets the box dirty, just replace the bedding before she has them. She should stop this after the babies are born, but a rare doe will want to continue hanging out in there and smash the babies by accident. However, if she has been a good mother in the past, I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest, and even if she may do this, there is not a whole lot you can do. Don't worry, keep it clean, and see what happens!

3. animal_kingdom

Thanks for your help.

She is a first time mom and we hold her and pet her as much as we can but she doesn't like it to be your idea. She would rather come to you.

When I checked her back 2 1/2 weeks ago to feel for the babies, I only felt one. I'm new at this so who knows. I forgot to weigh her around breeding time so I can't even check her that way. She might not even be pregnant. Time will tell. Only a few more days to go anyway!

4. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Any updates?

5. animal_kingdom

Thanks for asking!
    Today is her 31st day. I keep hoping but nothing yet. I read somewhere they are between 30-33 days. And that they are almost always on the 31st day. Said to rebreed on the 34th day if no litter.

Maybe she'll wait until it's dark and quiet to give birth. I'm thinking of covering her pen with a dark blanket. I put a board between her pen and the rabbit's pen that is next to her.

We're real excited and will be quite bummed if she doesn't have any. She's a broken mini rex and the buck is a castor mini rex. He is just gorgeous. The ups man loves coming here and when he saw the rabbits and heard she was pregnant (hopefully) he said he wants one definitely for his daughter. So all will be sad to have to try again. Such might be the case. At least it's only 30 days!!! lol

6. Rancher

Rancher Well-Known Member

Dont panic yet. I have 3 or 4 does that go 33 days. They might even be better mothers too.
    Rancher

7. animal_kingdom

Thanks for your encouragement.

She is like the princess sitting in that nest box! I've only had to clean a couple turds (putting it bluntly...) out of there. She's keeping it pretty clean. I checked this morning and she hasn't pulled any fur out to soften the nest but she has it all comfy in there for herself anyway!
    :rolleyes:

8. animal_kingdom

Okay. Here's the deal...If by tomorrow night I have no babies, then I can put her back with the buck. (would be day 35 on Saturday morning)Right?

If I do that, I actually have another castor mini doe that I want to put with him too. Should I mate them together on the same day or does the buck need a breather.

Trying to think if this buck would need a breather sounds down right stupid. I think I know the answer to that one...but just in case, I thought maybe I should be sure.

It's raining and hoping change in barometer is the answer to a few babies but she so far has only enjoyed the honor of having a cozy nest box to sleep in. She's not lined it. Still just straw in there. She does seem to act quite priveledged though!

9. Rosarybeads

Watch them closely, let him breed the first doe twice, then remove the doe and give him a few minutes or a bit longer, and put the second doe in. If he is a good buck he will be fine, I think I've done a max of 3 or 4 does, but those were with excellent bucks. Just depends on your buck. Heck, she is already way over, just go ahead and breed her. :)

She doesn't sound bred. :)

10. animal_kingdom

Okay, I'll try it later. Raining too hard to go out of the house except for general care on the farm.

When I first bred her, he mated with her about 3 times. Then about 8-10 hours later, we put her back in with him and he did it twice. Maybe he was holding back and was wanting to practice... This is the first time for both of them. Now that he's a pro, maybe he'll actually prove his buckhood by getting both girls pregnant this time!

That would be nice.

I be princess is enjoying that nest box on such a dreary day...the nerve of her!

Like I said before, I only felt one lump. Maybe she absorbed that if it was a baby. Who know's?

Thanks for your help!

11. Rosarybeads

LOL, it's probably her, not him. That is usually the case, and first time does do have a tendency to not get bred. I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

Feeling for babies is not an easy thing, and I never had much luck at it, never tried it much though. I just figured, if they are bred they are bred, if not, then not. I've had way too many "expert" palpaters tell me a doe was bred when she wasn't, and they never seemed quite sure. :)

Good luck next time!

12. Dian

Dian Well-Known Member

I don't think you mentioned the age of these rabbits. If you are breeding for the first time and they seem to be going through the motions one or both of them may not be fertile yet. I've had rabbits ( both sexes) breed at 3 months, but I have also had rabbits that were not fertile until 8 or 9 months. Just a thought. Dian

13. animal_kingdom

She was 5 months when we bred her. Buck is same age. Born 11/09/04.

Now 6 months. She's Mini Rex.

Didn't give it a thought that she may be too young.

What do you think? Are they old enough or do I wait another couple of months.

Thanks for the thoughts!

14. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

For Mini-Rex 5 months is old enough to breed. Give them another try.

15. animal_kingdom

We didn't have time to mate them yesterday. I was working with the chickens all day and just didn't want the dust off my shirt and pants to get on the rabbits.

We'll be doing a firs mating this afternoon and a second this evening.

Hope all goes well. We really want the experience of bunnies but was hoping for cooler weather for them the first time. Oh well....onward for another try!