Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just built new cages for our rabbits that have a 2 ft square enclosed room in back and a 2 ft square open cage in front for each girl. We dropped the back room 6 inches to keep babies in and my though was to fill it with straw for nesting time. Now I am beginning to worry that maybe the room is too big and we should still use a nest box in it.
Has anyone tried letting girls deliver in larger areas in place of a nest box? I want my girls to be comfortable but not at the expense of her babies. Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
I raised rabbits in colonies for several years and they built nests in medium sized plastic totes which were pretty big. Should be fine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds neat. Would you care to share pictures?
Sure, here are the doe pens. You can see from the main pic how the back room drops lower. You can't tell in the pic of the open cage because I have them full of straw for the winter. We used plastic floor tiles made for dog kennels for the floor and walls as these are wider and flat on top so they are very easy on the bunny feet. They are also thick enough that the bucks can't fence fight through it. I know wood can be a pain with rabbits but we just hose everything down once a week and hit the bad spots with some fine sand paper and it stays relatively clean and doesn't smell.
IMG_20210224_085110257.jpg IMG_20210224_085339937.jpg

·
Premium Member
25,278 Posts
Now that is a neat set-up! How do you get into the back boxes for cleaning?

Your rabbit in the open cage picture looks very similar to a buck I had years ago.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that is a neat set-up! How do you get into the back boxes for cleaning?

Your rabbit in the open cage picture looks very similar to a buck I had years ago.
Thanks, I am really loving these cages. I just made the back with identical doors to the front, only solid instead of wire. So I can place my wheelbarrow under each cage in the back, open the door and rake everything out to go in the compost. It's so easy to clean.

·
Premium Member
25,278 Posts
Yes, that back door would make it very easy to clean the boxes. You have a really nice set-up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. I'm sure my girls are going to love the extra space too during those last 2 weeks before weaning age.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts