Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks, I've got a couple of does that are going to be having their babies on the 5th and 7th of Jan. I've got their nest boxes built and ready and was going to use some grass hay from my dads barn for nesting material but, got to thinking, won't they just eat it up instead of nesting in it? What are yals thoughts and what are some good alternative materials if I need them? Thank's, Brad

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Straw. They will eat grass hay. You can use dryer lint too. If they don't pull fur it is a great back up.

·
Registered
611 Posts
What i do, is put lots of pine shavings in the bottum of the nest box, this helps keep everything dry and cleaner from the time of birth. Then i give her lots of straw and/or hay....put it both in and outside the nest box. If you think she will eat the hay then use the straw.

I would try to steer away from the dryer lint if it is sented. If they dont pull enough fur you can pull some off yourself or use pillow stuffing ect.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I find straw too coarse - it just seems to pop out of the box. I give them grass hay in the nestbox a couple of days before they are due. They run around with it in their mouths, but they don't generally eat it. I keep an eye out, and if they need more, I give them more.

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
I find straw too coarse - it just seems to pop out of the box. I give them grass hay in the nestbox a couple of days before they are due. They run around with it in their mouths, but they don't generally eat it. I keep an eye out, and if they need more, I give them more.
I agree... and if you have some orchard grass hay, it is great, I used to save some just for the nest boxes. I would keep some straw in the nest box early, just in case I figured dates wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I use shredded newspaper and have had no problems with it. I just had another litter of nine yesterday which makes it six litters so far and it's worked out very well. I'm almost sorry to do the day nine cleanout because the nests are so cozy. I find the newspaper is clean, soft, absorbant, free and no bugs so it works for me. When I clean out the nestbox the used newspaper goes in the compost or the worm bin so there's no waste.

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
I use shredded newspaper and have had no problems with it.
What do you use to shred the newspaper? We don't get a newspaper, but DH's office gets them, and they also have a paper shredder there. I wonder whether it would work for him to shred a few of their old newspapers (the part on newsprint, not the shiny advertisement paper) and bring the shreds home?

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I bought a home shredder like the kind you put over a garbage pail. YOu should be able to get one at any office supply place. It shreds in strips which seem to work very well. You can get the kind that shred it into little pieces but I don't think that would do any good.

I wouldn't use the shiny paper at all but the newsprint is fine. I think all the inks are vegetable based now, even the coloured ink.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Shredded newspaper might be o.k. I went ahead and put newspaper down as the bottom layer, then cut a piece of cardboard, an inch of pine shavings over it, and then stuffed it full of hay. The doe adds more hay and hair. I added dryer lint which is nice and warm, too. I suppose cotton or fur, or chicken down might also work. We pulled the boxes inside when it was really cold (below zero.) During the day they were warmish. The temps were not more than 10 above zero. So I guess it kind of worked but I feel that if we had newborns during that time they would have froze. This last litter had just got it's fur (when it got so cold) so that helped them stay warmer.

We are still working out this cold weather thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts