Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dehydrator died today. It's over 30 years old, so I guess I got my money's worth. Only problem being, I have a bunch more dehydrating to do. The only one I could find in a store was a cheap one at TSC, so I got it, and put most of the apples I had in mine into the cheap one. (Made the rest into apple crisp :cool:)

So, I'm on the search for a new one. And while I've thought of getting an Excalibur, I don't really like the design.

Doing some research today, I came across the Nesco Gardenmaster Pro. It looks almost identical to mine. And I'm thinking the trays might even fit. Does anyone have one? How do you like it? How big are the trays?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Dizzy, I've used both the Nesco and the Excal. The Excal, I feel, makes better use of drying space. The old Nescos (American Harvest) had the heat & fan on the bottom (heat rises, makes sense), some of the newer ones I've seen have the heat & fan in the center stack, coming down from the top. Doesn't make sense too me. I would say the Excal dries a bit quicker than the Nesco, but side by side, I would say there is maybe 10% difference in drying time. Sorry no good input on the Gardenmaster pro.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they used to be called Marvelizer? The description of mine seems to be the same as the Gardenmaster Pro. The only difference I can see is in the color, and there's not a control for the fan. But, both are capable of taking up to 30 trays and if they're the same size, that would be a big plus.

A quicker drying time is not a big deal for me. Normally I could get mine set up in the morning, and when I got home, whatever I was drying would be done.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I bought my American Harvest in '83 or '84. I don't recall a different name. Fans are "on", only the temp is variable. Just steer clear of the "no fan" variety. I don't like to baby sit my dehydrator and rotate trays, run it for twice as long as would be needed if the unit had a fan.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For now, I have a cheapy that has no fan until I decide what I want. It was all I could find in the stores. You have to order the better ones. And yes, it takes longer to dry, plus I have to rotate the trays. But, it beats not having one at all.

If the Gardenmaster is the same as my old one, it will mean that I have an extra 8 trays.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts