Nervous Dog

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by big rockpile, Jan 1, 2007.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

My Lab lately has been snapping at my GD.Well I corrected her on it.Last night I left her outside until GD went to Bed.

Well today the Lab seems ok,but nervous and seems she would just soon stay away from GD.

I'm thinking of leaving her in the House and keeping an eye on her,letting her figure it out.But then again I think that it would be best just to leave her outside.

What do you Guys think?

She is about 5 years old and around 100 pounds.

big rockpile

2. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

How old is GD? and how does she feel about the dog?

If GD is older and comfortable I would keep the dog in but just have her stay back and watch him. If GD is younger or nervous around the dog I would keep him outside.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

My GD is almost 3.The last time the Dog snapped at her she was trying to kiss it on the face.

GD is getting ready to leave.The Dog has been good today.I'm thinking just not let the Dog close to GD next time,if it gets to be a problem again just put the Dog outside.I guess the Dog just gets in her moods,but I need to let her know I won't put up with it.

big rockpile

4. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

thats pretty strange behaviour for a lab but is it possible to have her give the feedings and or treats to let the dog know she's a 'good thing'.... dunno if it will help but thats what i would try providing it wasn't too risky.

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Your dog isn't really socialized to kids that age. Preschoolers act in bizaar ways. Kissing the dog on the face was socially unacceptable to your dog.

Every time your dog growls, or moves away from GD, he is saying, "leave me alone". GD, of course, doesn't understand dog language, so she continues to try and be friends. The growl then escalates to a snap, which may escalate to a nip. If you "correct" your dog for a growl, she will learn to omit the growl and move on to the snap. You also aren't teaching your GD not to kiss dogs on the face (pull their ears, poke their eyes, etc.)

I say it is time to teach the GD proper manners around a dog. Or, easier, keep them apart when she is over.

If it proves to b too diffecult to keep them apart, then you need to teach GD a game she can play with the dog. I have a border collie and when his ears and tail go up, he is put on a down and the kids have to stop their shenanigans. We have a couple of games, though, that keep collie teeth on toys and small children safe. One, is to have the GS throw a ball down the stairs. Dog runs down the stairs, brings ball up to the landing and drops it on the floor. He waits anxiously for 2 yr old GS to either kick the ball down the stairs, or throw it. Repeat, repeat, repeat,.......

The other game is to have the dog grab something in his mouth and be chased by the human. You have to say, "I'm gonna getch you" to instigate this game, but it keeps the collie from herding the kids or nipping. It keeps the kids from annoying the dog or doing unfriendly things to the dog.

Another tool, when the GD is over, have her feed the dog-- one kibble at a time. Put her on a chair or in your lap. You can have the dog run through his lessons, but have GD give him kibble. This raises the rank of the kid to being above the dog, and is a lot of fun.

6. JiminMorris

JiminMorris Well-Known Member

I agree with Maura. Dog and GD need to interact under planned supervision until they get to understand eachother better. Small children can be very stressful to a dog but it only takes one mistake to permantly disfigure a child. Don't put either in that position.