Neighbrs goat attacked

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TexasArtist, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

O.k folks I'm needing some help an dadvice here. About an hour and a half ago I heard my dog barking and yelling. I thought she may be after a squirrel in the tree so I went to check and found the neighbors goats had it's head stuck in the fence and my dog had attacked it. She riped the ears off of it. and bite it in the throut. I ran up and hit the dog off of the goats and protected the goat with my body to keep it safe and get the dogs calmed down. I grabbed the dogs and dragged them to my moms house to get some help and my mom took her inside. I put my on the chain and made the boys stay on the porch. My mom called the neighbor and she came out and helped get the dog out of the fence. She was taking the goat back to her place and I went over and helped her take care of the goat.
    As she was going inside to get some meds. she said she was going to call the sheriff but when she came out she said she called her daughter. I was trying to keep calm while she was telling me everything her daughter said (her daughter is sue happy) When I came back to our place and told my parents everything. Since the sheriff is an old family freind of theirs mmy dad said to go ahead and call the constable and ask his advice.
    Talking to the constable he said theres not much they can do because my dog didn't jump the fence and their animals was basically on this land when attacked. Also goat put their head through the fence all the time anyway. Which I know from our goats. He said the most they can do is take us to civil court. I told him we are going to offer to pay market price for the goat or give her one of our little girls. He said if we do that then she shoud give us the little injured goat. Also said something about that if we do that not much can happen in the court room because we will be making it fair.
    Have any of you ever gone through this? What happened with you?

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

You aren't going to like my answer. Any dog who attacks domestic animals should be put down.

You should pay for the goat.

3. Ol'Reb

Ol'Reb aka Mr T-Bone

My advice would be try to keep the peace with the neighbor, offer to replace the goat.

4. TexasArtist

we are going to try and keep piece with the neighbor. We just haven't had a chance to offer to pay her for the goat or give her one of ours yet.

About the dog. I can understand you saying that and at the sametime my dog was in her yard basically protecting her area so I'm going back and forth on that. We have her because of the illegals. She know 10 minues before they hop the fence

5. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

I'm not sure I agree with this because I think it's asking a bit much to expect a dog to know which animals it should and should not attack. The only thing you can expect a dog to know is not to attack your own animals. Anything else that comes on your property your dog will attack because that's kind of it's job.

I think the neighbors are at fault for not keeping their animals safe; however, in the interest of maintaining good will, I would pay for or replace the goat.

Just my opinion,

RedTartan

6. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

I have been trying to think what I would do...... First, I would -imagine- what I would do if it had been my DOG with his head caught in the fence, and a mean nanny goat gored him in the throat with her horns.

Would I demand the life of the goat? No.

Would I demand that the goat owner pay for my dogs' vet bill? Yes.

If the dog died, would I want the neighbor to buy me a puppy? No.

Would I want enough money from the neighbor to GET a new puppy, if I wanted one? Yes.

Would I get the law involved? No, not with a neighbor, unless this was a repeat occurrance.

Although it's not fair, I DO have to LIVE next to these people for a long time (probably), and want the situation to be "forgotten" as soon as possible for both parties.

Just my $.02

7. RedTartan

Oops. Wait a minute. Was your dog in your yard or hers? In the original post you said the dog was in your yard and now your saying the dog was in her yard. If your dog was in her yard, then you may have to put it down because you didn't contain it.

Flip-flopping,

RedTartan

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I agree with your plan to offer to buy or replace the goat. Just the right thing to do under the circumstances. I came home from school as a kid once to find one of our goats (horned) had stuck her head through the fence and gotten stuck...and a pack of feral dogs had found her. It's not a pretty sight, what dogs can do.

As far as the dog goes, if it had jumped the fence and attacked, I'd put it down. As it is, with the goat entering the territory the dog is supposed to protect, I'd give the dog a second chance. However, since the dog has now tasted blood, I'd be real strict on that second chance. Real strict.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. As I said, though, I think you're right on track.

Meg

9. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I believe the dog in question is a female, and was therefore in her (own) yard, protecting her (own) area.
    If you re-read that post, that's how it reads to me.
    Meg

10. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Yep offer to pay for or replace the goat.Thats about all that can be expected of you.Or lord forbid the vet bills!
    Wondering who's fence it is.One you erected or the neighbor.If its yours,and the neighbor is running goats against it than its her problem,id suspect.Though id probably still replace the goat to keep down on trouble.
    If she refused the money and didn't have vet bills id take her a goat of equal value anyway.Who could refuse that?

A dog is a dog,And most will attack something that is putting up a fuss like a goat with her head stuck in a fence.Its just part of there left over prey drive to want to attack sick and/or injured animal.Doughting it will make her a blood thirsty killer of live stock.

11. TexasArtist

Sorry about that. I reread the second posting and see where you got confused
    My dog = in her own yard
    Neighbors goat = head stuck in fence on our side

when I was saying the dog was in her yard I meant her as in the dog. She a little female. If she would have jumped the fence then I would have put her down no questions about it. I won't have an animal doing that. Like I said though she is here to protect her place.

12. TexasArtist

It's the neighbors fence and it's about 15 or so years old. When my parents put in their fence they wanted to replce the fenceing in between us but her daughter wouldn't let us because her dad who died put it up. Well it's so old it breaks and stuff. We have even helped the neighbor replace post and rewire it all up and down so her goats weren't coming over here and our goats weren't going over there.

13. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

If it were me, I'd not say anything until the neighbor was given the opportunity to calm down and be more receptive to discussing the situation as two adults. If in her emotional turmoil of the moment she calls the police, I'd be understanding that it was likely more emotion then good sense which caused her to react that way right off the bat. I'd speak politely to her and the responding police officer.

After she was calmed down and thinking more clearly, I would then ask her what she believed would be a fair settlement. Then I would decide if she was being reasonable or not. If yes - I'd give her whatever she thought was reasonable. If no, I'd tell her what I was willing to offer at that time. If she was still unreasonable, I guess I'd see her in court...where it is likely she will end up with less then my reasonable offer.

Oh, by the way - you need to give yourself more time to calm down and think before you asks for outside advise.

Hugs
    marlene

14. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Legally you (and your dog) are probably in the right. Civil suit (small claims court) could go either way but circumstances probably favor you. The neighbor would probably be foolish to bring suit; however, that is no guarantee of anything.

Ethically, at least half the responsibility seems to be upon the neighbor (probably more).

However, it is important to maintain good relations with neighbors so it might be wise to keep things friendly if possible.

Is an earless goat "destroyed" or is it still a source of milk or meat? If it is merely "ugly" the amount of loss seems negligible and the issue seems largely emotional.

If I paid for or replaced the goat I would take the “damaged” one.

15. RedTartan

Oooooooooooooooh... Got it.

I stand by my original statement. :)

:) RedTartan

16. TexasArtist

Yes I'm in agreement with that. I'm rally wanting to know how the little goat is doing but I don't want to step on any sore toes right now. Hopefully I will be able to talk with her tomarrow or the next day. I'll kinda wait for her to come ot the fence though. This elderly lady has been pretty nice all along but this here today might have sent her over the edge. I hope not but you never know. She has the old farmer attitude of "well it is an animal and these things happen" Just gotta wait for the dust to settle. It's the daughter that comes up out of san antonio thats the big worry. She's always wanting to sue someone for something. :grump:

17. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Put up a fence on your side that they can't get through.

18. TexasArtist

each pay check I'm going to be buying some chicken fence and stringing it. of course I'll have to do some new poles in the ground because of her daughter but it'll be worth it. Especially if it keeps the peace

19. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

As a goat breeder, I can totally sympathize with the way your neighbor must be feeling at this time. If this had happened to one of my goats, I would probably be thirsting for your dogs blood for several hours.......but when I calmed down and really thought about it.....its not your dogs fault as much as it was a result of a bad set of circumstances. In my opinion, you should offer to pay for damages done(be sure she is not hitting you up for more than is needed!), and I would certainly put up a fence on your side of the goat fence to keep your dog away from other stuck goats. It is not only a smart thing to do it is a sign to the neighbor that you really are sorry and trying to be sure it doesn't happen again. In other words, good for neighborly relations. And I would watch that dog CLOSELY. Not likely, but it may decide that it likes savaging goats. If it happened a second time.......definiately time to do something with the dog. But if you put up a fence, it wouldn't have a chance to happen again....=)
    My thoughts on this situation. Sorry it happened at all, for all parties involved.=(

20. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Good idea, but I think I would go for something stronger than normal chicken wire.......my dogs can go through that no problem if they want to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.