Neighbors...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by texican, Dec 22, 2006.

1. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I thought about having a grand series of threads about neighbors.... but that's a lot of work... so I'll just start with one...

How close are your neighbors? How close would you like 'em to be?

Do you have to crank up a vehicle to go visit? :baby04: or can you smell what they're having for supper? :rolleyes:

My nearest full timer is 2 miles away on a half dirt/half oil road. There's a housing development half a mile away, but they keep to theirselves, mostly.

I wish my nearest neighbor was >5 miles away... would be great if they were 20.

2. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Got a guy in his 80's living across the street(600 feet), the farm next door is rented out for crops and house is empty, a campground to the south open only in summer and having camp lots no closer than 1,200 feet. Real quiet here. Don't know what will happen when the old guy passes on.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Got 3 neighbors close but can't see their place because of the trees.

big rockpile

4. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Our closest is about 6 hundred yards away. The next is about 1/2 mile. both great neighbors, but the closest has 3 FREAKING dusk to dawn lights in his yard!! And we can see them this time of year (with the leaves off). Why in the world do people move to the country and feel the need to light up the place like a durn parking lot? :shrug: I call it (Neighbors last name)Ville :) . They do keep the closest one off since we asked them to, and it would ruin relations if I shot out the other two, so we just except it.
    5 miles would be about right. I like to see the stars and go "WOW!" when the moon is so bright you can about read by it. And when its dark, I like it to be dark.

5. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

One is about 5 acres away in one direction, the other is probably less than an acre or so away, which baffles me as they have more land than I do and yet out of all their property, they chose to move their mobile home so close to my house (My house was already situated off-center of the property when I bought it, and then some adjoining property was bought so my house is closer to one property line than the other). Mine also have the glaring orange security lights, but the guy finally built a huge garage/shop so it blocks the light from coming directly into my windows now, at least. This guy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed...

I would prefer that my neighbors be out of eyesight and out of hearing range, so I don't have to listen to their domestic arguments/drunken brawls/old hippy music.

I like it quiet, dark at night, and peaceful during the day.

6. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i live in a rural community. there are lots of neighbors close by, but i have acreage that extends to the state forest. i think the newer folk who have DTD lights are just used to that sort of thing. personally, i hate them. many of the longtimers here have them as well. i think their very own guilt made them suspicious of others being theives. it seems the shadier the character, the, more paranoid they are.

7. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

About 50 feet away on one side, 300 feet on the other. We're on a strip of subdivided lots of a tad over 1/2 acre each and we own two of them. The close-up neighbors are no trouble at all, just an older couple with a grown son that hangs around sometimes, and there's a tall privacy fence they built between us (probably because of the previous owners of our house!) The neighbors on the other side are very nice, except that their 12 year old grand-daughter who lives there is kind of weird. The people across the street are pretty far away, houses set about 1/3 of the way back on 5 acre lots. There's nobody at all in back of us and I hope it stays that way for a long time!

It's nice and dark here; there aren't any street lights and nobody has bright lights outside their house...except us. Our pole barn has a big bright halogen light on it; DH put a motion sensor on it so it won't glare all the time but everything sets it off so we still have to adjust its sensitivity. The darkness takes some getting used to!

8. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

This makes me laugh...there's nobody around us like that, but on the road I drive all the time we pass this one house that's so lit up outside that it would rival most places of business. It's like daylight in their back and side yard. I can see doing that if you're out there doing something at night, but I never see anyone out and about, so I just don't get it.

If you feel the need to add lights for security, at least make them motion sensors so they're not on ALL the time, just when needed.

9. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

Geeez I almost feel bad for everyone....

My next door neighbor is 4.5 miles up the road and the next is 2 miles from there. There is one more back there about 9 miles but I think thats about as far as I would call 'em neighbors.

Ted

10. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

About 2 miles and we rarely see them.
    One came over and ehlped us dig out, so that's good.
    We have pretty good neighbors. :)

11. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

The house next door is empty and I'm hoping hubby will buy the property. Then our closest neighbor will be a 1/2 mile to the side and behind us. They're terrific neighbors so we don't mind. Next closest neighbors are a mile up the road and keep very much to themselves. Rest of the neighbors are several miles away.

12. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

85 % of earth strikes are from ground up.

lightning rods will help prevent strikes because they leak a sperical corona that is less likly to attract a strike.

and as others have pointed out. nomatter which way the feeler develops, it is still conducted around the structure not through it as without rods. franklin had it correct. well grounded rods are a good thing.

13. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Oh yeah! That is my pet peeve. Are these people afraid of the dark? Couldn't they at least switch to motion sensors? I am so tempted to do a little target practice. The sky is just wonderful out here and they have to spoil it with their stupid lights.

14. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

I am at the end of a dead-end road (yay! No through traffic!) and there is only one neighbour on it who is halfway down. I would say he's maybe a couple of football fields away. No one can build closer because the closest half of the road to us is actually in our survey as our private driveway. It confuses people because the other half is a country road.

The main road is maybe a 1/4 mile away? I admit I will drive my little puddle jumper to get the mail; walking it seems like forever, but I would guess a 10 minute walk? Sometimes, though, I'll take one of the horses with me for a walk there to accustom them to the traffic.

The only neighbour that likes to flare the old spotlights at night is the newest house. It looks like it's too ritzy for the neighbourhood (yeah, a McMansion). He has two bright driveway marker lights right at the base of his driveway plus two at the house at the garage. And a nice eye-watering halogen light over his barndoor for the horses. I don't think they are on a sensor because sometimes we get a treat---no lights---probably because he forgot to turn them on.

Strangely, this neighbour also has a few 'redneck' kids. We think the kids party everytime the parents are gone. They will rev up their wannabe racecars and gun the engines in the drive. Then they'll lay nice attractive rubber marks right in front of their house, and also go up the road to a notorious straight strip on a side road where kids are known to go for the "1/4 mile raceway". That part of the road is crisscrossed with all sorts of rubber streaks.

15. kirsten

kirsten Well-Known Member

I have a yard light and I like it!
    It comes on automatically and lights up my whole yard. It is yellowy or orangey but I like it very much. I feel that my animals are safer with the yard light too. Also, I am a night person and I happen to do a lot of work at night. I have dewormed my lambs at 1 am before and weighed them at midnight and I like not having to carry a flashlight everywhere and fumble around. Sneaky predators are discouraged and it is pleasant to be able to go out at midnight and do cartwheels if I feel like it which I do on occasion and to be able to see to do them.

My neighbors here are fairly close, one on each side becuase I am close to town with the railroad to my back but I don't mind this becuase being close to town, the coyotes stay back and I can avoid getting a LGD. For me, this is a good way to start ranching. I am sure we will move farther out but this cuts the losses pretty well so far.

My inlaws are like you guys and turned off their yard light and live very far out but they don't realize how very black it is for their guests. They try to remember to have a night light for me but sometimes they forget and I just stumble around and can't see the hand in front of my face and look at the stars for comfort. I don't like the pitch black. Gosh, it is 5 am! I should go to bed.

16. city_grown

city_grown Active Member

I have a neighbor about 500 feet from the house. The family split up the land about 20 years ago and one sister move up close to the property line away fromher other sister. One sister put a single wide out about 1,000 feet from us we can only see it in the winter time. Both have the stupid lights that are on all night. The one closest to us is selling and I have been thinking about shooting it out. Being neighborly is hard. :rolleyes:

17. hippyleft

hippyleft hippyleft

Closet neighbor is one mile away. I have state forest all around me, so no one can build close. I have no night lights either so it's plenty dark here and that makes the stars sooo bright. I love it.

18. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Well-Known Member

My newest neighbors are about 200 yds. away, but because they are two story McMansions, they appear much closer in the months when the hedgerow is bare. For the first 21 years here there was only oak forest behind me and I miss my private backyard. We are also about 1/2 mile from a traffic light on the state road and the corner has a convenience store and a steak house, so light polution is a problem as we are at the same level of the hill and the lights actually come in my window. I would like no neighbors, but that ship has sailed. We still have 28 acres of farmland and woods beside and in front of us belonging to my FIL. Ah........progress.

19. ninny

ninny Well-Known Member

YO ACE!!!

I think it's time for you to call it a night... :)

20. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

Neighbors???? What's that?

[​IMG]