Neighbor's yard was missing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by birdie_poo, May 3, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I was gone most of Sunday, out driving and running errands.

We live on a private road, only room for a vehicle and nothing else...one way in & out.

As I pulled into the private drive, my neighbor was in his driveway. I waived, as I always do, and he did back. I passed the front of his yard, then past the privacy hedges, and abruptly stomped on my breaks...the rest of his yard was missing!

He had giant butterfly bushes, wildflowers, iris, all sorts of things growing. It always seemed a little much to me, be he kept it groomed.

I threw the tranny into reverse and asked "Where'd your yard go?" He said he got home about an hour before and found it like that.

Seems someone 'groomed' it their own way, without permission. There are only 6 of us that live on the street, so I'm sure he's going on in his head about who it may have been.

He knows it wasn't me, now, and another neighbor is on vacation, but have a house sitter. THe other neighbor next to that guy was gone all weekend....Hmmm...should prove very interesting.

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Please Tell Me He Called The Police!!!!

3. birdie_poo

He didn't look in the 'talkin' mood, so I just drove home. He said that when he got home he found everything neatly piled on the side of his yard...ready for the green recycler that was coming this morning. I'll talk to him a little later after he's cooled down a bit.

4. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Well, let's hope they find who did it--that's frightening when you consider what a homesteader could lose if someone chose to do that to one.....yikes!

Encourage him, when he cools down, to do it all over again--to show whoever did it that they didn't beat him!

5. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

How horrible. He evidently worked pretty hard for someone to come in, trespass, and then ruin HIS yard. How awful. I've had similar problems. I hope he calls the police. AND builds a fence.

6. Natureschild

Natureschild Well-Known Member

Thats horrid! I would be absolutely :grump:
    Please keep us updated if ya'll figure out who did this, and what you are going to do to them.

7. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

That's awful. He should call the police.

Do you think it is possible that another neighbor called a landscaper for service on their own land and the addresses where mixed up? Just a thought.

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Did they chop it all down, or dig it all up? :grump:

9. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi ;
    WOW! That's truly bizarre! Who would do such a thing? Why would anyone do such a thing? Thats' a lot of work and effort, I can't imagine what sort of person would have the time, energy or hate to carry this out. I hope it's a mistake, that a neighbor hired someone to clear some land so they could pave a drive or something and just got the wrong address.
    Let us know what happens.
    tamilee

10. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like a landscape company might just be in deeeeep doo doo getting the wrong address....
    That's awful news, I hope he gets to the bottom of it.

11. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Just a thought -- butterfly bush has recently been almost universally recognized as a noxious weed. This wasn't the county's doing, was it?

12. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Wow,
    The nerve of some people. It wouldn't be the power company would it. Sometimes they just come through and clear everything in sight because it is under, near the power line or the right away(so they think). Hope your neighbor finds out who it was, and presses charges for destruction of property, tresspassing.
    tnborn

13. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

This happened to me once in a smaller way.

I came home from town to find my little herb/flower garden gone. I went to the landlord and they had a water main break, had to call the gas company out too and had decided to replace all the water and gas lines THAT day. My little patch never recovered. I was so sad, but there wasn't anything I could do.

I am wondering if it could be something like that. Could your neighbor have put his bed over a gas/power/telephone/water line and there was work done?

Cheryl in SD

14. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

A utility working on a Sunday??? I doubt it he'd not know about it as he would have had to have been gasping his last breath to get them to do any work like that here.

Some people do not understand anything but lawn/grass. Theirs is a sadder but more uniform life.

15. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Neighborhood association??

mikell

16. birdie_poo

We are county...no Hitler associations, but plenty of neighbors who think they own the whole place and will tell you what they think you should do with your yard.

Couldn't have been any agency, someone would have noticed that, because he lives at the lipof the drive to everyone's house...you can't get if someone is working on wires, or anything like that, because the road is only wide enough for 1 vehicle.

I highly doubt it was a gardening service, there is only 1 person on the street that has one, and it's a guy they have used for 4 years...he wouldn't make a mistake of doing the wrong house.

Of any of our neighbors I had to shoose from, it would be the guy that lives on the opposite end of the street. He's mister perfect. He's the only house that put up a fence around his entire property, and it has an electric gate. He drives only the primo of vehicles. I'm thinking, because the butterfly bushes and other plants were growing out towards the drive, he might be responsible for removing them...the other side of the drive is a large 15' hedge, and it's trimmed as far back as it can go, so the alternative was Kevin's greenery.

Now, It may have been his own mother, who lives with him. I just can't see her doing it without talking to him, because he works on the yard every weekend. He's out there from dawn to dusk, most Saturdays.

I think, this weekend he will have had enough time to cool down and I will ask him if he knows who did it.

It's sad when you drive by there...they entire front yard (which was all flowers and bushes) is now dirt, with a large pile of what used to be in it, sitting off to the edge. Only 1 noble pine sits i the yard, and it looks like that was planted when everything was taken out...don't know if Kevin did it, or the culprit.

17. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

:confused:
    OK, I sat reading this whole thing with my mouth hanging open!!! (thankfully we dont have flies!) lol! I have NEVER heard of such! I just can't believe it!! WOW!!! Please, let us know the outcome, I am astounded!
    I would sure be really really PO'd if that was MY yard!

18. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I hear what you say about it "can't be his mother" but I wouldn't doubt it. She might think it is not a great plan for her son to spend so much time on such a hobby. I think it is more complicated than it appears.

And how long has the guy on the opposite end of the street been there? Why did he weait so long? Does he drive by this place? If not, why should he care?

Something fishy in Denmark, methinks.....

19. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Those bags are likely COVERED with fingerprints!

20. busy homestead

busy homestead Well-Known Member

Its driving me crazy!
    Let us know as soon as you find out what happened!

Christina
    athome in South Dakota