neighbors weeds took out my fence

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by idontno, Sep 23, 2006.

1. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

My neighbor had weeds 5-6' tall in a feild next to mine.He sprayed and they all died..Well now that the wind has came up ,his tumble weeds have blown into my fence and took out over 1/2 mile of my fence.Broke the posts off at the ground.My fence row is 4' deep in tumble weeds.Only way to get to the fence is burn them and burn up what fence i got left and my wire will be no good after that.WHAT WOULD YOU DO?It's been a week and he has drove by ...Sure he has seen it.Nothing.I want to go talk to him ,but still so mad....I might do something that I will regret.Any good thoughts.....Thanks

2. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Wow -- I had no idea tumbleweeds could be so tough as to take a fence down!

3. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Pray for a strong wind change!!

4. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Are you serious, tumbleweeds knocked the fence over??? Tumbleweeds on steroids??

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Seriously, you need to go talk to him. Maybe he missed seeing the mess, maybe he's clueless and thinks you like the look of tumbleweeds.

Before you go talk to him, sit down and write out your thoughts. Write down specifically why you are upset (his weeds have taken out your fence) and EXACTLY what you expect him to do to make the situation right.

Then go to him with a mindset that you're going to work out this situation in a neighborly fashion. Assure him that you know he wants to be a good neighbor, and probably doesn't realize the damage he's caused. Then, outline the damage (read the thoughts you wrote down right off the paper if you have to), and tell him what he needs to do to make it right.

If you go in with the expectation that he's a stand-up guy who really does want to make things right, AND VERBALIZE THAT EXPECTATION, you stand a much better chance of getting things squared away than if you wait for him to notice. Like I said, he could be clueless and have absolutely no idea why you're ticked at him. Even if he DOES know that he did something wrong, calling him on it in a neighborly way may cause him to rise to the occasion.

We had a problem with a local running some big equipment up our Jeep trail road (he took the wrong bluff road) and he just tore the daylights out of it. When we called around to find out his name and address, we let him know who had given us his name and number, and that the fella who told us let us know that he (the guy who tore up the road) would make it right. Not only did he fix the road where he messed it up, he went even further and cleared a path onto our top tier.

So, that's our story. :

Good luck with yours!

Pony!

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Do bare in mind that he didn't damage your fence on purpose. If you blow your top he'll buckle up, and the odds of a reasonable settlement will be almost nill. Take a six pack and soften up his brain a little.

7. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Ok sell the tumble weeds on ebay to rebuild the fence
    a little laquer or spray paint and you have instant Chstmas trees

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I don't understand how tumbleweeds could knock down any kind of fence?

9. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Me neither, could you comment on that a bit? I am from Ohio so we don't have tumbleweeds... I don't think they could bust down my fence, but what do I know? I mean, our horses don't break down our fence.

10. SpringCrkAromas

SpringCrkAromas Well-Known Member

Could the posts have already been rotted at the bottom and the extra weight of the weeds finally did them in. I know I have several that need to be replaced before they fall over from rot.
    Or are you not talking about wood post?
    Jill

11. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Sounds like wood posts (he said they'd burn if he burned the tumble weeds) and they had to've been rotten at ground level (the normal place for wood posts to rot out). I don't know that the neighbor is actually to blame for anything here. If it was me, I might ask him to help remove the tumbleweeds so *I* could replace the bad fenceposts and fix my fence.

Kathleen

12. palani

palani Well-Known Member

What are you trying to keep in or out? Seems like everyone is going electric these days and it takes $40 and 2 hours of work to put in a half mile of electric wire.

It can be hard on snowmobilers though!

13. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

How old were those posts??

14. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

Tumble weeds and fences are a lot of fun,

I have about 7 miles of barbed wire fence to keep tumble weed free,

pitch forks and gloved hands and a nice walk out through the tulles,

If you don't have stock in the pasture, one can either raise the wire or lower to the ground and let them blow on by,

I think I will have to do that this year on about 2 miles of it,

One year the weeds took out the fence about 4 times before I finally took the cattle out and raised the wires and let them blow on through,

on one fence a few years ago I bet they were 30' deep in front of the fence, it took along time to through them over, and when you have three cross fences in the pasture, you have them to throw over as well,

one year my dad did not get the tumble weeds thrown over, on the same fence as above, and the snow came in and took out that fence, and rolled it up to three hundred feet out in to the pasture, the 4 wire fence was one tangled mess, we had to just start over, wire and posts.

I don't know how many fence posts I have lost over the years to tumble weeds, I am sure it is in the hundreds, and if you figured out what my dad lost my guess is it would be near a 1000 posts if not more.

I have tried to bale the weeds, doesn't work very well,
    (if you can get a "bush hog type mower" and get them mowed up before they cut lose and blow, that some times can help if the the weeds are not that big of an area, ours can easly be blow in from 10 miles away,

sorry it happened, but it is nature, and if he is a good neighbor he may help you put the fence back up, but my guess the cost is yours,

15. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

Ok..Thanks for the comments.The fence I talking about is 5 years old.Not a bunch of rotten post.Some were broken off at the ground but most were blowin over.4 strands of barb wire.Neighbor is the type guy that will call me if he even see's my cattle thinking about crossing onto his land.He doesn't have cattle so..Not a chance he will help with the cost.We have had a lot of rain and couldn't get into the fields to work it.Well most sprayed and disc them under after they died.He didn't...I don't want to sound like i want to burn his house down ...I 'm not that way..We have been neighbors our whole life.Don't need a war..He lost his butt on cattle in the 70-80's and wouldn't have a cow on his place,and don't want mine on his land.I can't blame him at all.But ..I don't have the money to replace the fence ..If I do it will be blown over again when the wind changes.The wind did change...Now my north-south fence are full also.My coral is 4 ' deep in tumble weeds and my pond it level with weeds.The road along side of my pasture is full.Some places 8 ' deep,Can't even drive down it.My driveway and farmstead is full.Couldn't even get into my driveway the first day..Most of ya'll can't even think how many tumble weeds are on a 1/2 section of ground..Well there isn't any no more they are in my fence row.Now they have spread seeds off them all over my pasture and I will have to deal with weeds comming up in my pasture for 3-4 years.NOT a pretty sight in buffalo grass.Plus...When my fence got blown over ,my cattle got out and got into my other neighbors round bales and damaged-destroyed about 30. That i will pay for the damages on.He don't like cattle on his land either..So I stuck..Pay for my neighbor stupity.And go on with live.I just didn't need this ti happen now.I right in the middle of swathing alfalfa and sorgram and cutting silage,Getting ground ready to plant wheat.Thanks for letting me vent on ya'll ...beside my neighbor..It di really help....

16. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but this just doesn't make sense to me...can you provide some pics so I can wrap my mind around dried cut weeds knocking down a fence?

17. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Can you explain why it is the neighbor's fault if tumbleweeds are a part of life out there? If the other poster says the tumbleweeds can come from 10 miles away, it seems it is just something you have to deal with (I don't know how), like I have to deal with white tail deer which are numerous in my area (I do veggie farming) or coyotes (chicken predators), etc.
    I know you are out money, but I'd think this would be part of the budget for your particular crop (cattle), as others have other problems which they budget for.
    Hope you have managed to figure out how to keep the cattle confined while you work on getting the fences back in order.
    I'm sorry for your problems, but it sounds like something you have to think of as an ongoing problem. Maybe you could offer to mow/bale them for your neighbors in the future to help alleviate future problems???
    Ann

18. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

Ive seen tumbleweeds but I cant figure it out....Those dang little stickers on them hurt...

19. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

This article shows how tumbleweeds drift in a fence row and another photo shows how high they will stack on their own.
    http://www.ljworld.com/section/citynews/story/136193

Also search http://www.corbis.com for image #57671

I, too, came from western Kansas and am aware of what the weeds will do.
    I have never heard of posts being forced over as a result of the force however.
    I realize that you have been in a drought area every since the fence has been in, possibly not allowing the soil to settle properly around each post. How big of holes were the posts installed in, the size of the post, and were they tamped properly? Most people fail to do the latter to proper satisfaction. Hard to tamp dry dirt however.

Perhaps you could ask your local fire department to tend guard while you pile and burn them.

20. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

Great article Wendy thanks for sharing.I learned something new today. :)