Neighbors squeal E-I-E-I-NO!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Pony, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Do pot-bellied pigs actually weight over 200 pounds?

Pony!

read the whole story at
    http://tinyurl.com/rw8mw

Neighbors squeal E-I-E-I-NO!
    With an oink-oink here and an oink-oink there, a Lake Forest woman's three big piggies send residents wee-wee-wee all the way to City Hall

By Susan Kuczka
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published July 12, 2006

Three not-so-little pigs have created a ruckus among Lake Forest residents who contend farm animals don't belong in their storybook community.

Nearly 250 residents recently signed a petition asking the city to force removal of the pigs from Estelle Gonzalez Walgreen's $3.3 million colonial-style mansion on Sheridan Road, one of the poshest addresses on the North Shore.

They complain that the pigs are disrupting their tranquillity with obnoxious noises, including grunts, snorts, oinks and belches, and fouling the air with offensive odors, especially after they load up on hay.

"No one wants these pigs here," said Kathleen Murphy, who in addition to asking friends and neighbors to sign her anti-pig petition, sued in June, claiming the swine shouldn't be allowed to live next door to her family's custom-built brick home.

But Walgreen, who brought the 200-pound-plus pigs to her 2.3-acre wooded lot in May after her divorce from Charles R. Walgreen, a grandson of the drugstore founder, said Tuesday that she won't give up the pigs without a fight.

"I love the pigs. I find them so intelligent, so docile and very loving," said Walgreen, a businesswoman and mother of two children, ages 7 and 10. "But what I'm most concerned about are my children. These are their pets, and they're very worried they're going to be gone. We're all distressed to find ourselves under attack."

2. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Another reason I don't live in a neighborhood...I can't stand neighbors telling me what I can and can't have.

Besides, 2.3 acres for 3 pigs is pretty good room.

3. HogEmAll

HogEmAll Well-Known Member

Pot-Bellied Pigs can certain reach and sometimes exceed 200lbs.

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

It does seem silly that the neighbors are acting like this. But the area is so ... oh, for lack of a better word, "exclusive." Pigs just don't fit their Image. :flame:

I'm sure they would prefer that everyone has robotic animals...?

Pony!

5. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Their whole argument is specious. We know pigs don't smell unless tightly confined and never cleaned out, and are very quiet--unless mine are unusual. Unfortunately, with 250 sigs, sounds like the neighbors are going to win and find a legitimate way to get rid of her. After all, her maiden name is Gonzalez. They are supposed to go home at night! :nono:

I feel sorry for the kids. They've already lost their dad. Maybe she'll get smart and move to a good neighborhood!

6. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

Many areas don't allow livestock. If it is not a city ordenance, she may have a fighting chance. They showed this on the news and the pigs are clearly overweight, but look very happy. If it was me I would sell and move. Obviously, she has the money. I would ask the kids. Would you rather get rid of the pigs or move to where we could have them in peace, should the courts side with the neighbors? Maybe they don't care as much as she does.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

if that is a pbp it is morbidly obese

8. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

any animal can be over fed as easily as underfed and it does tend to shorten life span in many, but if they are healthy otherwise and treated well whos buisness is it, they are wonderful pets, and many cities have ordanences alowing potbellies under certain conditions, i have been doing some research in minnesota so that i can be well informed to help my customers, and in most of the cities i have looked into, the law is it is legal to have thembut the amount is not to excede 3 per house hold, less they be concitered breeding livestock, they must be fenced, and heres the kicker that would ruin it for this poor woman, "must not be causing a noticable disturbance" that is a very large spectrum, and a judge may easily say well neighbors say its a disturbance, and that is against the law, how sad, and im sure nooo one there has dogs that bark.....or cats that meow.... rich stuck up, most of all, narrow minded to my thinking, how sad, a potbelly breeder myself, i feel for her, i know, the strong attatchments made with these creatures are hard to break. :Bawling:

9. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

yes george it is severly obese and is likely going blind or worse, but that to my understanding is not the issue here....(but i do agree whole heartedly)