Neighbor's Dog<<>>My Trash, what to Do???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Jan 24, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

I've got a problem that I don't KNOW how to solve(legally) ........I live 10 miles north of town. The trash guy comes around every thursday.We put our trash in these large 45 gallon , Plastic containers inside of a heavy plastic bag. For the last Two pickups my neighbors dog on my Westside has really done a number on my garbaggggge. I squirted it with Ammonia both inside and outside but no luck. First time I picked everything UP. This time i left it lay. The dog is UNder fed! It is one of those Great Pyrnees.Big , white , with long legs. About 4 yearts old and is NOT fenced in. And, it is starting to chase cars and motorcyclists as well. I hold the neighbor Directly responsible for his dogs actions.
    My first inclination was to take pictures of it "in the Act" and then bring closure to this problem with my 45. But, I am a dog lover and this method seemed alittle extreme. I have....NOT..... called them on the phone as I would probably say things that would make the situation even worse. I'm kinda at a loss as to how to proceed so I'm sitting on my anger, praying for a solution and hoping it will dissipate . Any suggestions????.........fordy :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Could you adopt the dog yourself and feed it so it wouldn't eat your garbage? Unfortunately your neighbors are very irresponsible regarding their dog. If you call the humane society, they will probably destroy the dog.

3. RAC

RAC Guest

You have animal control in your area? That's why it costs so much to license animals...let them earn their salaries.

Catch the dog and call them. They may be able to adopt the dog out. Would your neighbors know it was you?

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

Well, let me provide some additional info. These , otherwise hardworking people had 2 horses on their 10 acres in addition to a horse that is theirs' and a 2,000 Holstein Bull with nothing to do(he has no ladies to help him release his Tensions). So, they were feeding "their horse" and this idiot Bull. The other two were just slowly starving and wasting away. I had a friend call Animal rescue and they came out and investigated and subsequently were picked up and removed. Of course, now, they don't have anything to say to me , at ALL. And, that doesn't really bother me. My attitude is....is you take care of your kids and your animals and Don't create problems where there are NONE. So , I'm still trying to comeup with a solution that is the "Least Divisive" for all parties concerned........thanks for your suggestions , .....fordy :eek: :rolleyes:

5. Shame really. Dogs are such great animals, people are another story. Any way you slice it, the dog will get the short end of the stick. Even if you have the dog confiscated, the idiots will probably just get another dog... and the original dog, well...

Cheers, especially to all those folks who do the right thing by their animals.

6. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

Try sprinkling pepper all over and around the trash cans.Something real hot.

Tambo

7. EricG

EricG Well-Known Member

8. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I usually cure the garbage dog problem with a bit of raw hamburger and a bottle of expired syrup of ipicac mixed and placed on the garbage. Either the owner is freaked over the dog puking all over, thinking it is poisoned and keeps it home, or the dog remembers where he got bad meat and doesn't come back again. It causes no long term damage to the dog and is very effective, especially with those cute little house dogs that "never leave the yard."

9. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

Set one of those big flat rat traps with hamburger meat, be sure to tie the trap down. I had trouble with dogs getting into my newly planted garden and this worked wonders, they avoided the area after just one slap on the nose.

10. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

The way I see it is, you have two choices. 1 Call animal control, if the dog isn't adopted out,it has a quick death. 2 Do nothing, a car chasing dog will eventually get hit, and die a slow painfull death laying in a ditch somewhere. The owner probably could care less which route you take.

11. Have you thought about building a box to set the trash cans in? A box high enough that the dog can't get in or a box with a hinged lid and a closure that a human can open. That might keep him out of your trash and prevent a problem with your neighbor. Maybe build in on wheels so you can roll it out on trash day if you can't have a permanent one built.

12. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

What I've done with a similar problem, if you can catch him in the act a couple times .... BB gun. Might sound cruel ... but it's not. Shoot n the butt with enough air to sting bad but not penetrate. He'll learn after a couple times. Like a smack on the butt ...from long range.

13. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

Well Fordy, this is what you are going to have to do. Take the pictures, contact the dog's owner, as non-confrontational as possible ask him to remedy the problem. Tell him that the very next time you see trash scattered you are going to call the sherriff. Then the next time show the pictures to the sherriff, file a formal complaint and have no further contact with the neighbor. The sherriff will undoughtedly just warn him. File another complaint, this time he will likely get a summons to appear in court. File another complaint, this time he will likely pay a fine. You get the idea. Sooner or later the autorities are going to get tired of all the calls and complaints and handle the situation. I wouldn't count on getting a christmas card from the neighbor or the sherriff next year.

14. Try a Electric fence charger.One time is all it takes.........

15. Upham

Upham Well-Known Member

I've used the bb gun and it worked for me. I have a friend who built a plywood box big enough for two trash cans with a cover it also worked great.
    Best of luck.
    Up

16. juststartn

juststartn Active Member

Well, Fordy, it looks like the BEST idea is a combination....build yourself (with scrap lumber, preferably) a big, enclosed trash can "container" that remains stationed on the side of the road at all times, with a lid....spread some of that Ipecac/meat mixture around for the dog to eat, and sit and wait with a BB gun.

Knowing GPs are BIG BIG dogs, I would plan on aLOT of meat and a higher power level on the bbgun. Also do the pics, JUST IN CASE the above doesn't work and you DO have to get "the law" involved. Thing is, once you get the law involved, wouldn't they see that these were the same people who had those horses removed a while back? Sometimes, in some cases and depending on your location and the mindset of "the law", they MAY be prohibitted from keeping any more animals, and ALL of them will be confiscated/rescued....

Like one of the PP said, I would do the picture thing and start calling the authorities if the deterrents don't help...

Sorry I can't be more assistance....but a big dog like that can make a REALLLLY big mess....

Rachel

17. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Another possibility that works well is to switch to a metal garbage can. Set it on a rubber mat and hook it to a car battery with jumper cables. Be sure to disconnect it on garbage day.

18. Upham

Upham Well-Known Member

LMAO, Laura do you really have first hand experience with that? :D I remember when I shot that dog in the butt with the bb gun it ran with its tail between its legs and didn't look back until it was a good 100 yards away. Never saw it again either. I can just imagine what would happen with the electronic welcome mat and the garbage man if you forgot to disconnect. :eek: lmao
    Up

19. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

If the dog can get into it that easily, it is only a matter of time until other critters will. I had a neighbor who swore my dog got into his trash.....until another neighbor (fed up with his rants) took him to the trash while the DEER (also have a whitetail like my hooked up dog did) spread it around. The guy finally built a box then. And no, he never apologized, but I did get some satisfaction when he came storming out of his house a few acres away cursing about my dog while I was out at the doghouse WITH THE DOG hooked up. That was the day he saw the deer for himself. He looked the fool. Oh, and we are definitely on speaking terms and generally get along.

The box doesn't have to have a lid. Make sure you tie up the bags well. I can put my trash out every day even with pick up once a week and still do not have any critters get into it (including mine and neighbors' dogs).

Do the neighborhood a favor and keep mice/rats/coons out of the trash. Build a container and move on.

20. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Fordy.... Have you thought of attaching a couple of bungee cords to the container to hold the lid on? Our city-issued containers are equipped this way & they work great.