Neighbor's dog got my chicken

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by QBVII, Jun 23, 2006.

1. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Neighbor just came over. He has a couple of large dogs. He said one of them just came trotting up the driveway with a chicken in its mouth, had obviously just killed it.

My chickens stay in our barn and free-range in front and behind it.

He offered his "sincere apologies" and said he would pay for the chickens.

Didn't say anything about keeping his dogs confined, though...............what would your response be?

2. Boss Cooker

Boss Cooker Well-Known Member

:hobbyhors Dig a good size hole and shoot the critter. And play dumb if anyone comes asking. :shrug:

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Tell him firmly to keep his dogs confined and let him pay you for the bird.

If it happens again shoot the dog.

.....Alan.

4. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

I would definitley tell him to keep his dogs off your property. Hopefully he will heed the warning.

5. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

HELLO... It's not the dog's fault - it was just following it's instincts. Shoot the neighbor if ya gotta shoot something.

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Be grateful you have an honest neighbor....

Maybe you could express your concern that now that the dog has a taste he may come back for more....How can we prevent this?

I'd hate to have to tie my dog....I would get a shock collar and zap her until she was trustworthy...or muzzle her

Yes he should pay or replace the chicken

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

As satisfying as that might be it leads to too many imperial entanglements.

If the guy is really trying to work you with on this see what can be worked out. May be a way to develop a working relationship with your neighbor.

.....Alan.

8. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

He should pen the dogs up when he isn't watching them. That simple.

9. kable78

kable78 New Member

Don't know how true it is, but I was told growin up that once a dog has a taste for chicken blood you can't break him. Only way to stop it is to shoot it. $.02

10. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

well, well, well, lol ... another fine kettle of stinky fish! lol. I've been there and done that. When I first moved here, six years ago, I had a large dog for protection, who ran loose. (Divorced with kids, plus handicapped ... just seemed the thing to do.) A neighbor came over, said my dog had killed all of his chickens and I had to pay for it all ......... $68 ..... :Bawling:. He had no proof, never actually saw my dog actually in his fence (and there are many strays in this neighborhood) but I paid him, more to keep the peace then anything. We all own lots here, there is no acerage. And he had his chickens penned, but I never went to see just how his chickens were penned. He also had a dog that he kept in a 6X6 foot cage and was NEVER allowed out! (so I was told) If he could pen up a dog safely, seemed to me that he could pen up a chickens safely too ... but maybe not.

Anyhow ... he moved (thank God!) lol. Then, my dog had pups. (just hang with me now, lol, it gets more involved! lol) .... I gave a pup to another neighbor who lives behind and over a lot or so as their dog had died. That dog comes over and visits. Soooooo ... now, this year, I am getting chickens. I'm not stupid. I am putting up a 5 foot welded wire fence with landscape timbers that is going to be 40X12 feet. That is my chickens run. They will also have a house. I knew that I would have casualties when I bought my chickens, and I kept my chickens in my house until this week. They are in a pen made of pallets nailed together and covered in chicken wire with plywood on top until the chicken fence is complete. But 3 weeks ago, the neighbors dog (the pup mentioned above) came over, walked into my laundry room and helped herself to a chicken dinner! killing another chicken in the process *sighs*. No I am not charging anyone for anything. It is a casualty of living closely together and having dogs run free for protection. Best I know, nobody has had anything stolen here since someone took off with my 4-wheeler about 3 years ago. :Bawling:

We did take a BB gun to her butt as she was sitting there comping down, from about 10 yards away. Part St. Bernard, she has lots of thick hair. She wasn't impressed with the first shot, just kinda looked at us like ..... *and your point is?* but on the second shot she got up and left. There are lots of people with guns out here and dogs do get shot with real guns if they don't behave. I'd shoot my own dogs with a BB gun if I see them with a chicken in their mouth, but they seem to have accepted the chickens as part of the family since the chickens were in the house for so long.

It's a trade off, and chickens are like rabbits .... kinda at the bottom of the food chain. Good relationships with the neighbors are much! much! more important. Just my honest opinion.

Woodsmokeinherhair!(who will probably give one of the roosters I have to butcher to the family that dog belongs to, along with a discussion of how much their dog likes chicken! lol)

11. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

A Chicken killing dog Can Be Broke-------Just can't break one by scolding it---You have to get serious. I broke mine and he would kill every chicken that moved. Now I would leave him in the chicken pen with 100 chickens-----He will not touch them. He has Been broke for 4 years. But I Know, every dog is different too!! Randy

12. PTFarmer

PTFarmer Member

Fire Man,
    What did you have to do to break him ?

13. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I bet he beat the living day lights out of him. I had the perfect stray show up probably someone dropped him off he was gentle with the kids but he killed my poultry, I gave him the first one and spanked him with a news paper. Next time I shot him in the head, that is what I would do to your neighbors dog next time it is on your property give him fair warning first though.

14. JasoninMN

JasoninMN Well-Known Member Supporter

The fact that the neighbor who came over and told you what happpened says alot. Most people would not fess up too it. It looks like he is trying to be a good neighbor and realises his dogs running loose is a problem. Hopfeully he will keep them contained, if he did not imply he would ask him too. Sometimes when I read this board I think part of homesteading is shooting anything that comes on your property and feuding with your neighbors. There are posts almost daily about "bad neighbors" I guess some like that lifestyle. I have had dogs kill my poultry in the past and was able to work it out with my neighbors. I could have killed them but the benifits of having good relations with my neighbors is better then feuding of a couple of dead chickens in my opinion.

15. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I'm sorry about your chicken. I'm glad the neighbor told you...but I think he should keep his dogs fenced in when he is not watching them. :flame:

16. Dixielee

Dixielee Well-Known Member

We had that happen a few years ago. The neighbor came over to tell us, offered to pay for the chicken and we never saw his dogs again. He immediately built a big kennel for them. Being that this neighbor brought it to your attention makes me think he will do the right thing. Give him a chance. Our neighbor turned out to be one of the best friends we have had in our neck of he woods.

17. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

you overlook the fact a neighbor like this one who will willingly take the blame for his dog is a rare, and you need to be as nice as possible...

most nieghbors suck... sounds like you have a good one.

the dog, if its his forst chicken encounter is just being a dog, cant blame the pup for it.

ASK the nice neighbor if he is going to fence in his dogs.... ask him NICE, as you are worred about leaving them out now and need to know what measures to take..

yeas.... be very very nice, or you will lose a 1 in a million neighbor.

I think if he was willing to come over and fess up about the chicken, he will be more than willing to contain his dogs or just the one dog thats a chicken chomper.

if not, there always SSS.

18. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Yes, he is a very nice man.
    He offered to pay for the chicken (the one chicken, I suppose) - after my husband got home, he went over to talk to the neighbor.
    Husband wouldn't take the money he was going to give him for the (one) bird.
    I asked him why not and he said "it's a country courtesy", and added that it was more important to stress that he keeps his dogs up.

I hope he does...I wouldn't actually shoot one of his dogs. I might shoot AT it with a BB gun, that would be all and I wouldn't want to do that.
    It is a dog's nature, neighbor says they are "game bird dogs."

19. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Your neighbor was being a stand up guy for coming over and admitting his dog killed your chickens and offering to pay for the damages done. Hopefully he starts keeping his animals on his own property. If not SSS with particular emphasis on the last S.

20. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

Amen, Jason. There's no need to thrive on controversy all the time.

I have dogs and I have chickens. Some of my dogs "free-range" on the farm, but none of my chickens do. A free-ranging chicken is likely to be a meal for someTHING at some point, not necessarily for a dog.

Back in the good 'ol days when DH and father-in-law were welcome to bird hunt all over the county (and likewise everyone was welcome to hunt on their farm), it would sometimes happen that a bird dog would kill a chicken in someone's back yard. DH said his daddy would just go to the folks, apologize, pay for the chicken, and no hard feelings. As it was said earlier, chickens back then were at the bottom of the food chain. Now I don't exactly feel that way--I keep chickens for eggs, not meat. I can't kill them, and I don't want to watch anything else kill them. Because of that, my chicken pen is more like a chicken jail.

Try to work it out before taking drastic measures.