Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a fenced in acreage with two Great Pyrenees to protect our free ranging poultry and pigs. They do a great job protecting them and stay in their fences. The neighbors recently got a German Shepherd puppy, it has been coming over to our property and trying to get into the fence. The first time the dog came over, it had somehow gotten a plastic globe to a light fixture stuck on it's head like a astronaut and was tearing though the woods hitting every other tree freaking out. We caught it,pulled off the globe and returned it to the neighbors. When we asked about a possible fence for the dog neighbors said they had no intention of fencing the dog or tiring it up and that their other dog stays close to the house but "this one keeps wandering off, hahah." (NOT hahaha) That was last month, this past week the puppy (i'm guessing around 6-7 months old) is coming to our fence line everyday, sometimes multiple times. Walking the fence line back and forth while my two LGDS go crazy barking,lunging and snarling. We have warned the neighbors if the dog gets into our fence, our dogs are guard dogs and might/probably will hurt it. They had no problem with this. Literally, "oh, well". But, I don't want our dogs to hurt the poor,unmanaged dog. I was thinking about shooting NEAR the dog next time it's around to try and scare it off. Anyone have luck with this? Around here it's pretty common practice to SSS. (shoot,shovel,shut up) when it comes to dogs worrying livestock. I don't want to do that, but it's getting pretty frustrating.

·
Premium Member
10,397 Posts
That is something I would get the animal control people involved with, at least let them know what is occurring. They may have suggestions for you too.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
They sound like real jerks, not just to y'all but to the poor dog too. And German Shepherds are expensive, you'd think they wouldn't be so careless with it.
I'd catch it and take it to the pound myself. Least it'd get adopted by someone who would love it. And play dumb if the original owners ask where it went.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Not every place has Animal control. We don't have it here. In the city limits they do, but not out in the county. Still experimental at this point even inside the city limits? Sometimes a person just has to do what they need to do. If the dog is wondering off, no telling just how far it might wonder off with a little help???

·
sheep & antenna farming
2,845 Posts
Do you have access to a paintball gun? The pup is a nuisance but not endangering your livestock (yet) so SSS doesn't really apply IMHO. They'll blame you no matter what happens.

Good luck. I expect something sad will happen to the poor lonesome pup sooner or later. Then they'll just get a replacement and that one might be even more of a problem.

Peg

·
Registered
43 Posts
You will never talk sense into these neighbors.
Do not expect them to accept reality.

I have lived in several states, and kept livestock over the course of numerous moves. When it comes to this sort of situation, the negligent owner's maurading dog is always "a Good Dog." If anything happens to that Good Dog the owner is a Victim. If the puppy crosses your fence, your LGDs SHOULD kill it. If you can shoot it before it gets torn apart before then good, but don't complicate things trying for that outcome.

Sad, but that is nature, and farming. Deal with it. There will probably be more nuisance situations in the future with these neighbors.

If the puppy disappears, you know "nothing."
Think, SSS.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
I don't want to do that, but it's getting pretty frustrating.
Honestly...... I would make friends with the dog. Catch it, and drive it to a shelter 50+miles away from home. I have done that at times. It is always a nice thing to rescue a poor lost dog that way. Surrender it. If the owners are are worried about the dog, they will be calling shelters to look for it. (That's why you rescue the dog to a far away shelter) The shelter would help it find a home.
I've done this many times over the last 40 yrs. None of that owners have ever brought their dogs back home. I guess they never had them chipped or tagged for the shelter to get in touch with them?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I will never get why people would get an animal and not care for it at all. I would be taking it to a shelter like others recommended. Your neighbors obviously do not care what happens to it.

We had neighbors (1/2 mile down the road) whose dogs (3) used to show up at our yard on a regular basis. I always called them to get the dogs. At first they kept saying "oh, our electric fence broke" and then they stopped coming up with excuses. They would not show up for hour to get their dogs. The dogs walked 1/2 mile on a very busy road. Eventually, they just said "let them loose, they will come home" ... so instead we called animal control and they picked them up.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Honestly...... I would make friends with the dog. Catch it, and drive it to a shelter 50+miles away from home. I have done that at times. It is always a nice thing to rescue a poor lost dog that way. Surrender it. If the owners are are worried about the dog, they will be calling shelters to look for it. (That's why you rescue the dog to a far away shelter) The shelter would help it find a home.
I've done this many times over the last 40 yrs. None of that owners have ever brought their dogs back home. I guess they never had them chipped or tagged for the shelter to get in touch with them?
Why don't you take the dogs in to your OWN county?

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Sad situation. German Shepards are wonderful dogs, and that youngster is still young enough to be well trained and loved by a family that will appreciate it.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well i told one neighbor i killed a cat trying to get into my coop . The next time i saw the neighbors wife she asked me not to kill her cat . I told her to fear the racoon that ripped the wired down from my trash can lids of my feed more than me and her cat is safe as long as it stays away from my livestock. The law here is you can destroy anything that bothers your livestock. Just be honest and they will keep their pets up if they think you will kill them then sue them for damages.I have a right not to be molested in my farming.It's not just a god given right here it's a state law. :D You need to look up your right according to the law.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
You will never talk sense into these neighbors.
Do not expect them to accept reality.

I have lived in several states, and kept livestock over the course of numerous moves. When it comes to this sort of situation, the negligent owner's maurading dog is always "a Good Dog." If anything happens to that Good Dog the owner is a Victim. If the puppy crosses your fence, your LGDs SHOULD kill it. If you can shoot it before it gets torn apart before then good, but don't complicate things trying for that outcome.

Sad, but that is nature, and farming. Deal with it. There will probably be more nuisance situations in the future with these neighbors.

If the puppy disappears, you know "nothing."
Think, SSS.
I have similar problems and think planting a screen on the fence or close would solve my problem. I think sight is a major part of the problem. If the neighbors dog is barking while at the fence that is another issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts