Neighbors cows

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Carey Russ, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Carey Russ

Carey Russ Active Member

There is a large ranch behind my place, and I quess at one point the ranch owned my property, Well anyhow their cows keep coming onto my property, and really I don't mind it much --I just chase them out when they are getting too comfortable --But they are really destroying the fence between my and their property--Is it my responsibility to fence them out or is it the ranchers to keep them in? I'm not sure if it is still free range out here or what but isn't it just neighborly to fix the fence when your stock knock it down? Occationally my horses get back to the ranch behind us and I always get them back and repair how they got out. We are talking about an atleast 60 year old fence that has been patched a million times, that streches about 1/2 mile on the back side of my property . Wondering what you folks think. Thanks

2. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

You would have to find out about the fencing laws in your area, but.....

Our back neighbor's cattle kept getting onto our land. We would chase them back, or if I was gone, DW would call owner and he would come get them. I was going to ask him to fix the fence when I found out from his sister, in an unrelated conversation, just how broke the guy was. The cattle was his way of working his way back onto his feet. He was doing it on a very very thin shoestring budget. With that in mind I spend the appx $150 in supplies and rewired the fence. He is the type of guy who would never say anything about it, and I am the type of guy who would not want to discuss it.

My point is while it may be his fence to fix, look at the big picture. Long term relationships are worth more than the cost of wire.

3. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

In Montana when you stand with your back to the fence facing your property. Everything to your right is your responsibility. The law may have changed some since I left, but I doubt it.

Bobg

4. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Same as in South Dakota. Considered a 50/50 deal unless you have an uncooperative neighbor, then worse comes to worse, it becomes a do-it-yourself thing.

5. twstanley

twstanley Well-Known Member

A 'hot' wire or two would most likely take care of this. And would be pretty cheap to put up as well, if you end up doing it to keep the cows out and stop them from tearing up whats left of your fence.

Run a single strand around at nose height of the cows, since cows can't crouch, or duck or anything, that will keep them from walking thru the fence.

6. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know about Montana. In Virginia it can vary from county to county. The county I live in is a "free range" county. Here you have to fence the cows out, not in. So the fence would be your responsibility if you lived here.

You'd think that Virginia would be more urban and would require farmers to fence their cattle in. In must be one of the laws that remain on the books because no one sees fit to change them.

I am careful to keep my cattle within my fences, but on rare occasions, I've had them get out. I guess I like the law the way it is.

Genebo
    Paradise Farm

7. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Stanley;

I would not make an absolute statement like that. During a hurricane many years ago our little barn blew down around our jersey milk cow. When the eye passed over us I ran out and got her, led her down to the railroad yard about a quarter mile away and pointed her at a loading platform on pilings with 3 x l2 beams holding it up. It was just high enough that the floor was level with the boxcar floors.

This little cow got down on her knees and went under that platform, then stood up with about an inch of space between her spine and the flooring. She stood there until the storm was over and crawled out when I came to get her the next morning.
    Ox

8. twstanley

twstanley Well-Known Member

Ahh, interesting. I rephrase my original statement to say 'I have never seen a cow crawl, or duck, or crouch to get thru a fence.'

=)