neighbor's chickens are eating my cat's food

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by cindyc, Jan 10, 2007.

1. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

What to do? Neighbor knows about it. We put strong plastic up all the way around the porch with only a "kitty door". They now can find their way in, but not out! They will come in, then we have to catch them and take them through the house to get them out! They lay eggs on my porch, which the neighbor told me to keep, so it is not a total loss, but they POOP on my porch too, and I am tired of cleaning it up. Also tired of feeding someone else's chickens.

Both these houses are on the same property, (mine and neighbors). Neighbor owns the rental we live in, so I kinda have to tread lightly. We are moving in e/o april early may. Don't need them too mad at me before then. :)

K. Suggestions welcome.

Cindyc.

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

If you're moving anyway; buy the cheapest cat food and put a small dish out away from where your cats eat. ;)

It isn't a free solution but it might be a cheaper option. Just be sure to put out a couple of nest boxes-those eggs are worth a little cheap cat food assuming you can get a brand that's cheap. :)

How many chickens are visiting?

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

the chickens need extra protien and they love catfood! (I feed it to mine in winter)

as for the poop....make chicken soup or send doggy after them....if neighbors wont keep them away or request free eggs for your trouble.

4. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

Well, they have a whole flock of them, but there are usually not more than two or three on the porch at a time. I can't figure out if they are the same two or three every time or different ones. It can get really interesting if the rooster gets up here. Hard to get him off if he doesn't want to go.

I am surprised the cats aren't bothered. They really LIKE to hunt, and they are LARGE as cats go. Every other day I find squirrels, birds, field mice, once a very large barn rat (not my barn thank goodness!) out in the yard... but they ignore the chickens! :shrug:

Cindyc.

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

When I had grackles eating the dog food, I had to just pick it up during the day. Can you train your cats to come at a certain time to eat, then put the food up? Or block off that cat door for whatever time of day the chickens are most prone to coming over. I'm expecting the biggest problem is them messing up the porch.
    mary

6. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

Make some Chicken Soup.

7. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

I have several very large cats, but if the chickens come to eat their food, the cats leave. They are great hunters, even catching rabbits, but chickens seem to bully them. We feed the cats in an area where the chickens cannot get to them, but only enough for that feeding, then open up to the chickens later. If the cats do not eat it all, then they are out of luck until the next feeding. Not cat food is left out, because the possums will come eat it also.

8. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

my daughter feeds the cats. I guess I will have to give her better instructions for being sure that there is nothing left there for the chickens.

Yes, the biggest problem is cleaning chicken poo off the porch. Don't really like doing that.

Cindyc.

9. Merrique

Merrique Well-Known Member

You could try feeding your cats after dark, when the chickens roost, then putting up any leftovers. The chickens will soon lose interest without any food around the porch.

10. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Chicken and dumpling. :D

11. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a bag of corn. It's about $4.00 for a bag here. Every day, place some corn where you want the chickens to eat, like near your neighbor's house or barn. They quickly learn where the food is, as you've already seen. You shouldn't HAVE to do this, but it's better than having chickens pooping on your porch and in your house. One bag may last all winter, assuming the chickens are being fed by the owners. They also love wheat and sunflower seeds. If you feed the cats after dark, as Merrique suggested, they will retrain themselves.

12. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I am with Maura. Feed them somewhere else.

13. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

This just strikes me as hilarious! I'm sorry for laughing out loud, but the mental image of your situation is too funny. Chickens go "to bed" at night. I would just close the kitty door during the day and open it back up at night. Chickens are persistent but NOT smart, bless their birdy little brains. You should be able to figure something out that stumps them.

14. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

I don't think they're stupid, they know who has the best food...My Leghorn Obelisk knows that plain brown paper bag has a sub in it...I'm too predictable.

15. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

Ummm... I hate to play the devil's advocate here... but get some cats with "tom" parts!

"Help! My toothed and clawed predator animals are having their food stolen by egg-laying avians". Jeez...

;)

16. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

We have two toms and two females. Barn cats. Too many prey options to be worried about the chickens.

17. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I guess I would put out the least expensive cat food that you can find in a separate area from you porch...you keep the eggs you find, right? :)

18. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

Put a cat sized card board box next to your cat door. cut a cat sized hole in the side facing the cat door, and a cat sized hole in the top of the box. the cats will be smart enough to go in the box and pop out the top, but I doubt that the chickens will think about looking up. you'll have to tape the box down so the chickens don't push it out of the way.

hmmm, we need Boleyz here to draw a picture of my invention.

19. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

I think it is funny also - but understand it is 'agervatin'.

20. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could put the cat food bowls up higher then the chickens are willing to go? I have the same problem with our chickens, when husband comes home from work he has the cats trained to come have supper. In the morning when I let the chickens out, they bypass the scratch and head right for the cat food bowls down where they can get them. On occasion, Pretty Boy the rooster has confronted the stray cat that comes for breakfast - that's been interesting.

I feed the cats on a shelf about 4' off the ground - which doesn't stop the cardinals, and blue jays :(

Hugs
    Marlene